1973 20 HP Chrysler 204HE flywheel key

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have checked my normal places and I haven't had any luck finding a flywheel key for a 1973 20 HP 204HE. Any suggestions?

tommarvin

Ensign
Does iboats have one,if not E bay ,Amazon, the dealer, google, I found them at a screw and bolts hardware store. Any small engine repair shop has to have them.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have purchased parts from Franz before. Slipped my mind.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Franz had a key. That's the good news. This is the bad news.

Any ideas on how to remove the broken key from the crank shaft?

Nordin

Commander
Little bit hard to see at the pic but is the key shared at the cranktaper? The flywheelkey only goes down a bit in the camring so I would try to do it this way.

Remove the timingplate, try to put a flat screwdriver under the camring and pry upwards and at the same time carefully rock the camring cw and ccw with a plier. Becareful the ring can crack.

When you got the ring off the cranktaper make a punsch mark at the rest of the flywheelkey then start to remove/crack the key at the mark with a awl or something similar tool.

When you got the rest of the key off, furbish the keyslot with file or a Dremel.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The cam slides down the crankshaft and is located by the same key. If you are lucky it will be the same type key as the bigger 35,45,55 HP brothers with a projection down into the cam slot. Pry off the cam with a flat blade screwdriver and remove the rest of the key. I don't think the cam will fit through the center hole of the timing plate. Then, remove the timing plate and points etc and clean the crap off it. I can see metal chips on the magneto laminations. These chips will get onto the cam and wear the points rubbing block.

Finally, lap the flywheel to the crankshaft taper and be certain there is at least 80% engagement of the hub and taper. Search past posts on lapping procedure.

I can not see it in the photo but someplace on the timing plate there should be two projections meant to hold a felt wick. However, some engines have two wicks, some have none.

This wick would ride against the cam and would normally be lightly oiled. If there is no projection or wick put a SMALL dab of grease behind each rubbing block between the cam and points arm. Remember: Too much lubrication will get onto the tungsten points arcing and fouling them.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Frank The 20Hp has a regular Woodruff key (half moon typ) and only about 0,10 in of it goes down in the cam to locat it.
It is only the 35, 45, 55Hp as you mention that has the special peculiar typ.

These timingplates has only one felt wick and you can see a part of it to the right behind the crankshaft. Between the crank and the magneto coil lamination.

About to be able to remove the timing plate without removing the cam I am not 100% sure, BUT I think it is possible. The plate is hold down by 4 screws to the magneto stator ring and I think the cam will fit through center hole. Maybe you have to wiggle it.

If not, try to slide the cam up the crank with a plier and use a flat screwdriver to pry under the cam.

Last edited:

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was able to remove the timing plate. I have tried to slide the cam up without much luck. I have pried fairly hard but it only moves up a fraction. Pry harder?

tommarvin

Ensign
Spray penetrating oil on the broken flywheel key, let it sit overnight,see if you can move it in the morning?