Wiring

tommarvin

Ensign
Can we use 14 gauge solid copper wire/Romex for boat wiring ?
There is another romex called UF/ Underground Feed it has a stronger cover that's gray.

The old stranded 16-18 gauge is corroding and breaking in places along the wire. does conduit help or not.

I have a very open mind to all ideas. Thanks

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Freshwater or salt?

Fresh you might get away with it for a few years. Salt you can expect problems to develop quickly.

there are reasons you really should be using marine grade stuff and high on the list is corrosion.

The solid copper is not good in an environment with vibration/flexing. That is one reason you don't even find it in your car.

Sure, it will work for a while... But its asking for failures to develop.

alldodge

Staff member
Can we use 14 gauge solid copper wire/Romex for boat wiring ?
There is another romex called UF/ Underground Feed it has a stronger cover that's gray.

The old stranded 16-18 gauge is corroding and breaking in places along the wire. does conduit help or not.

I have a very open mind to all ideas. Thanks

No, reason being is there is a lot of vibration and solid wire will fracture. You need the wire to be flexible to absorb vibration, same reason you don't use it in a car.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Marine grade wire in a marine application. There is a different, otherwise why make such wiring in the first place! Stranded tinned copper wire IS what you need to run. And honestly, it really isn't expensive to buy and install either. JMHO!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No matter what you decide to ultimately use, a nice piece of 1 inch or so plastic conduit will make it easier to run wires from the stern up to the dashboard without them tangling or hanging. Get a big enough diameter and you might also be able to run steering, speedometer, and control cables through it.

However, why anyone would use stiff Romex is beyond my comprehension--unless, of course, it was free. Then there MIGHT be some justification.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would not use solid wire on my boat as electricity flows on the surface of the copper. stranded wire will have less resistance than solid.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
House wire is for wiring a house. Machine tool wire is for wiring machine tools, stranded wire is for mobile applications, and tinned/stranded wire is for marine use. As GM280 indicated, it is not that expensive