My Capri started before I serviced the lower unit

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Since those connectors are used with Teleflex/Morse control cables the spring loaded one should be available right here at iboats. If not, try valley sales, boats dot net etc.

Since it is a pricey part you can first try adjusting the connector you already have. Obviously they do work but are a little more fussy. Since there is a certain degree of compliance in the control cables (which I will discuss in a bit) using the solid connector may or may not provide uniform results SO: Using this compliance factor IF you can adjust the connector so there is some tension on the tower in neutral It may retract more reliably. Adjust the solid connector so the tension is enough to ensure positive return to neutral BUT NOT SO MUCH as to break the tower.---Yes, the tower is cast and it can break. If you can not get enough adjustment at the engine then remove the control box and adjust some at the throttle control arm. I have used the solid connector like you have and even though I could get it to work correctly I switched to the type in my photos. They just strike me as being a better part.

Now: Chrysler and Force before mercury used a goofy control cable system. At the control box the cable sheath was solidly connected and the center element moved. At the engine end the center cable was solidly connected and the sheath moved. Yeah, it worked but it also had a lot of compliance. Compliance being the word to describe the cable not necessarily doing exactly what the control box was requesting.

Mo1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The ends do have a lock nut but I can't just anymore. I did move the throttle cable a little further in and the drive plate did have another hole to move the ball, I was able to get some more tension on the cable but now the tower doesn't move or moves too late. I put less tension on the cable and still cant get the tower to move on time. I think Ill get some new cables