Decarb Dunks Method

jwall116

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Frank said it!

Jerry, I mentioned heat because you said that you tested the cleaning properties of Seafoam by allowing a piston to sit in it. This was not the method that the product was designed. It was designed as an environmentally safe cleaning product which can be burned in the Oil or Gas. It's intended purpose is to be burned. Inside of the oil, it is also coming up to a high temperature to aid it's cleaning.

I did a decarbon on my motor because my compression test yielded only 120PSI on both jugs. That is under the factory spec of 140-160psi so it was my hail marry to attempt to raise it. I have not ran a test since that day to see if it made any difference because I'm too busy using the snot out of this boat.

I do agree with Frank about an engine not needing it. Our Ethanol gas help us keep things clean by adding 10% alcohol to our fuel. That is far more PPM than any cleaner we purchase and put in the tank. Not to say that 10% doesn't cause other issues such as moisture attraction and go stale in 30 days.

With all that said, I have never had an issue with our E10 gas in any engine. I use marine stabil for my generator fuel which I allow to sit 1 year before throwing in the truck to burn and it runs the same on day 366. GRANTED, I run the carb dry while its being stored.

Being in Texas, I can boat year around so I do not require the use of Stabil in my boats fuel. I have tried running it at in season use dosage (1/2 of storage dosage), and noticed it would foul up my plugs with extended trolling and smoked a whole lot more. My carb rebuild (just because I wanted something to do) looked like a brand new carb. Shiny as the day it was born.

I honestly do not see any manufacture advising a decarbon procedure. Yamaha recommends using their high dollar additive year round, this seems more like a money making scam to me.... The sprayfoam did something because my engine puked out tons of black sh*t all over the driveway and down the side of the Lower Unit.

I have attached some picture during a ring change that I did on my model airplanes 55cc 2 stroke engine. This is a 5.5 HP 7500 RPM motor that gets pure abuse. On the throttle, off the throttle. Prolonged wide open 7500 rpm runs, minutes of hanging plane on its nose with zero airflow over the fins. I've never over heated this engine or has a lick of problems. 3 years and over 300+ hours of this, the inside looks like shown. I only tore engine apart to install boisen reeds and a new ring.

Attachments

• photo236588.jpg
    photo236588.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo236589.jpg
    photo236589.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo236590.jpg
    photo236590.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo236591.jpg
    photo236591.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I do my trailer bearings once a year.
​I fish in salt water and no amount of grease or using products like bearing buddies or grease seals,
will stop the intrusion of salt water.
Even the best grease's won't help.I only go about 1/2 mi to and from the ramp.
Salt water is brutal.
My neighbor has an Easy Loader with oil bath hubs and it too onlty goes to the ramp about 2-3 times a year.
​Last trip one of the hubs fell off. Salt water is BRUTAL!!!

If you do a compression test and it's 20# low on both cyl?
Then you probably need to test with a second gauge?
If you have an inexpensive gauge they don't always read as well as a good set.

The "good" thing is that both pistons read the same.
Now if you had 20# difference between the pistons???
That would be a problem.

My motors start right away and if they don't,
I get the compression tester out and check.

One thing I do is get Chevrons fuel conditioner.
The one with Techron.Was in a long skinny black bottle now I believe it's in a grey bottle.

I mix 1 bottle with 1 gal gas and the proper amount of oil.
Then I disconnect the fuel line and run the motor for 15 min. Let it set for 1-2 hrs.
Then run again for 15-20 min.
Then switch back to the main tank.

The mix helps clean up the goop that builds up.

I bought a Ford Ranger.
Ran ok but not as good as I thought it should.
I did the Chevron flush and I could tell the difference as I drove down the road.

It's kinda like the fuel system flush you get at the dealer for $100 but only paid $7

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
jwall.. That is one big model airplane engine. I think the biggest I had back in the day was an .035. ! What's that thing powering?