How do I remove a tiller handle from a Chrysler 6hp 6602

pckeen

Commander
I'm trying to get the tiller handle off a the above outboard - I believe it is a 1966 model. If I understand correctly, there is a spring pin in the top of the handle, but I have not been able to bang it out. Any suggestions?

pckeen

Commander
The parts diagram for a similar model suggests it is simply inserted into place....

Unfortunately, there are no parts diagrams or user manuals for these 1966 chryslers available online, and I've no interested in buying one, as I'm just parting this old motor out.

When I'm talking about banging it apart - I'm talking about inserting a metal pin to push it out - but the spring pin is in there quite tightly. It ain't moving.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Pressed in place?

You may have to rig some way to press it out.

A huge C clamp of sorts, a socket to allow the pin to be pushed out and a pin thats almost the same size as tne pin to use as the push piston.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you mean roll pin, get the proper size roll pin punch, soak the pin with PB BLASTER for awhile,and give it a good whack! That should start it moving ! Using an improper punch or rod of some kind will just ding up the end of the pin and make it tighter .

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you mean roll pin, get the proper size roll pin punch, soak the pin with PB BLASTER for awhile,and give it a good whack! That should start it moving ! Using an improper punch or rod of some kind will just ding up the end of the pin and make it tighter .

Thanks, couldnt pull the term roll pin outta the grey lump between my ears.

Same holds true for the end of a solid pin w too small a punch

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
"Drive out spring pin securing grip to steering handle shaft." A cautionary note says the grip must be supported.

Did you take off the steering handle first? Don't think it's necessary, but might be easier on a workbench. To install the grip, you have to line up the spring pin holes (pin initially inserted 1/8"), so thinking maybe you might be getting some binding on removal -- might push or pull the grip a bit with your third hand while punching out the spring pin.

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Actually - that's exactly what I'm trying to do - take the steering handle off - I've unscrewed the one screw in the bottom, but the handle isn't coming off the motor. I assumed (from taking Evinrude handles off in the past), that I needed to take the twist grip off. Perhaps I should ask a different question - what's the secret to taking the handle off?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
To take off the steering handle as a unit, take out the pivot screw from the port side (outside), then thread the inside screw out a bit (1/8"). Tap on the screw a bit, and you will see the insert and bearing under there. You need to get the insert out of the way far enough to slide the handle off, then remove the screw and lift off the handle. It's a little tricky, but if you peek up under there you should see how it comes apart.