getting real frustrating with my motor

antonio88

Seaman
so i fixed my first problem it came out to be that the butterflys of my carburetors weren't open all the way at WOT not even a 1/4 in open so i fixed that but now i killed the engine and it wont start at all and im not getting any spark on any of the 3 cylinders, i fixed one problem but now i have another one please help thanks

antonio88

Seaman
and i dnt get any type of voltage to my primary ignition coils could it be my switch box how can i troubleshoot it?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
well you don't give what engine you have - but there are electrical tests at outboardignition.com - they are very good PDFs of how to troubleshoot - it has helped me more than once.

antonio88

Seaman
well you don't give what engine you have - but there are electrical tests at outboardignition.com - they are very good PDFs of how to troubleshoot - it has helped me more than once.

yeah im sorry is a 1995 90 hp force i was having trouble getting my boat to plane i fixed the problem i was the carburetors link wasnt opening all the way at WOT,
so i went home and try to get the motor to run and no spark was present so i did some research already and i troubleshooted my stator, i have 5 wires on it 1 red, 1 blue, 2 yellows and one black so from red to ground i have 97 ohms, blue to ground OL or infinity and i supposed to have 3000 to 4000 i have nothing

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Antonio,
I feel your pain. But you've got a long way to go before you experience all the frustration potential in your engine. For now let me say that there is a limit to what you can diagnose without a DVA voltmeter. When I was faced with the same situation as you, I simply started replacing ignition parts starting with the cheapest. I ended up replacing just about everything, but it did eventually run. Then the rings let go. I plan to replace them next spring. .... Old outboards are the plainest definition of frustration that I know. I suggest you either accept it or get out of the old outboard hobby. ... Good luck in whatever you choose.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
CDI ignition also has test procedures for your motor.
You can do almost all the​ needed tests with an analog test meter.
Digital just don't work as well.
A peak reading volt meter is needed for some tests but you can diagnose what's wrong with just a standard meter.

A no spark could be a faulty stator. Bad kill switch.
Go slow and take your time.

antonio88

Seaman
I checked my kill switch and is working and my stator i dnt have any reciatance on the blue wirw to ground that is the low speed charging coil the red wire is the high speed charging coil

antonio88

Seaman
I found an used stator i cheked the resistance on it and from red to ground i have 104 ohms and from blue to ground i have 3800 ohms ao im gonna install it and see how it goes!!!!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Looks like you may be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Hope it solves your problem.

antonio88

Seaman
So i put the other stator guess wat my motor is running i had a bas stator now i wanna trouble shoot the carburetor so it wont run to lean or the other way. How is bet way to do ot thanks for all the help

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
should check the rectifier -- See if your battery is charging. Need to run it with a charged battery, and never with the battery disconnected. If the rectifier is burned out, the replacement stator can be damaged. If no charge, replace the rectifier.

antonio88

Seaman
should check the rectifier -- See if your battery is charging. Need to run it with a charged battery, and never with the battery disconnected. If the rectifier is burned out, the replacement stator can be damaged. If no charge, replace the rectifier.

How im gonna know if it is charging the battery how to test it with volt meter thanks also the rectifier is the same as the voltage regulator

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Check the battery voltage before starting, then as the motor is running. Maybe high idle (make sure you have plenty of cooling). Voltage should rise a bit while running. (Always start with a charged battery.)

antonio88

Seaman
Check the battery voltage before starting, then as the motor is running. Maybe high idle (make sure you have plenty of cooling). Voltage should rise a bit while running. (Always start with a charged battery.)

I checked the ignition diagram for this motor and there is not a rectifier just voltage regulator, stator, trigger

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Motor off.
Test voltage at battery(m​ake sure it's fully charged).
Then start and test voltage at the battery.
Some motors won't charge unless they have gone over 2000rpms.after initial start up.
Outboard ignition. com and CDI have test procedures for the regulator rectifier. ​

Last edited:

antonio88

Seaman
I checked the voltage before start and i 11.5 v and then with the motor running is 12.3v

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The motor needs to be running at 2000 to 3000 RPMs before the stator will generate enough voltage to charge the battery. You should see about 13.5 to 14.5 volts at around 3000 RPMs.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
11 1/2 volts is basically a dead battery to start with. Should be at least 12.6 volts! Considering your voltage at the battery is higher when running...I'd say it's charging. But don't expect much more from a bad battery!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 11.5 could be the meter is reading wrong?
The .08 increase in volta​ge shows it working somewhat??

Get another meter.
Load test the battery.
A bad battery can still show 12v.
It can have a bad or weak cell.
A battery charger can be bad but still show it's putting out 12v.
12v but no amperage.