Force problems

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Who actually manufactured Force outboards after Chrysler was required to sell it's marine division? It appears the quality took a major nosedive. 99.9 % of the problems on this forum are Force engines! Chrysler....not so much. So what happened?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
In late 1984 Chrysler was about to go bankrupt. Lee Iococca ran a deal with the federal government to bail out the company but the provision was that it had to stay with its core business--automobile manufacturing. It needed to divest itself of outboard and marine business.

Boats were originally Lone Star rebadged as Chrysler then later on The Chrysler team designed some beautiful hulls that were produced in Plano Texas. I don't remember what happened to the hull manufacturing business.

However, Chrysler engine production was bought by US Marine, a division of Brunswick, which also owns Mercury, Mariner, Bayliner, Maxxum, etc.

No, quality did not degenerate. There are simply less and less Chrysler engines so the bulk of engine problems on the forum are Force. IF you compare number of posts of the major engine brands to quantity of production you will see that all brands have about the same percentage of problems. In actuality, Brunswick started making design changes, incorporating Mercury parts, and engine performance improved over Chrysler even though the basic block design stayed the same.

Force engines were very old school design and were relatively dirty engines. Because they directly competed as a low price entry level engine with Mariner and because of increasingly stringent pollution regulations, the Force brand was discontinued.

For more info, google The Chrysler Crew. This is a site for Chrysler boat and engine fans.

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i think you see more Force engines because they were packaged with the Bayliner boats from 1984 till the late 1990s. There were no engine options for the outboard models

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah...I know about the boat division... I am the second owner of a mint 1975 Chrysler Bass Runner. Made in Plano Texas ! Has it's original 1975 Chrysler 45hp. The old guy (my age;) I bought it from kept it inside and meticulously maintained it. So there's not many Chrysler outboards around anymore? Kinda explains why I can't find the only part I need!

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh... And I did look into the Chrysler Crew.....apparantly a paid membership is required to take part in the forums.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You see more Force because they made a whole lot more.
Skidad said it Bayliner sold THOUSANDS!!!
One year we sold over 389 new boats 80% were outboards.
I'd buy Force again.
The "Mercury/Force" weren't much better. ​