88' 85 hp Force fuel problem

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Two nuts does nothing! The crankshaft is a locking taper and must mate with the flywheel hub perfectly. Run some pencil lines vertically down the taper. Without the key, install the flywheel and rock it several times through 360 degrees. If the lines have not rubbed off at least 80% then re-lap the flywheel to the taper. Use lapping compound or even abrasive sink cleaner mixed into oil. Rock the flywheel through 90 degrees more than a couple of times and then index another 90 until you have completed the circle. Once complete check with the pencil lines for complete mating.

If you can't get good mating replace the flywheel.

Do not scrimp on the tightening of the flywheel nut. Grunt tight is simply not tight enough and two nuts will not help. You MUST torque the flywheel not to 95 FOOT POUNDS. HINT: Wedge am appropriate sized socket between the flywheel teeth and the cast pad on the top of the block near the head. Now you can tighten adequately without having the flywheel slip and turn on you

Last edited:

Striper20

Cadet
Good info. Thanks. The flywheel key was cut in half. Soon as I can get a key I'll be back on the water. (FINGERS CROSSED.)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do an inspection on the taper of the flywheel.
My neighbor went through 4 keys in a few days.
The first and second broken key chewed up the taper on the flywheel.
Now he needs a $450 flywheel.​

Striper20

Cadet
Question, my key is sheared, any way to repair a slightly ragged key way on the crankshaft?

Nordin

Commander
Please post a pic, much easier to give advise then. Maybe you only need to lap the cranktap and flywheel.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Depends on how much damage??
Minor nicks not much need​ed.
Like Nordin suggested, PICS?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to accept the fact that the key is used to locate the flywheel for proper spark timing !!!----The flywheel is driven by the locked taper.---So accept the fact that you need to lap the 2 tapers for a perfect match.---Clean all lapping / paste residue of the tapers when done this procedure.---Make sure you use the correct key too.---Welcome to " fine machinery 101 " class.