carburator

funin the sun

Seaman
Wanted to get some information on a carburator on a 120hp force motor. It is a tollotson carb. Why does gas leak out of the carburator from the vent hole right above the fuel bowl. When i squeeze the primer bulb gas will leak out of that little vent hole. I believe that is a vent hole. And it sits just above the fuel bowl. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Nordin

Commander
The fuel level needle is not sealing correctly or the bowl float is stuck.
Remove the bowl and push the float carefully up and down. Put back the bowl and retry to squeeze the prime bulb.
If it does not solve the problem remove the carb and clean it. Take a close look at the needle tip and see if it is worn.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
If you are referring to the hole in the picture below (red arrow), either the float level is set too high, or the needle valve is not sealing properly due too debris or bad needle valve.

It's not uncommon for fuel to leak out if the motor is tilted way up, but definitely not supposed to happen if the motor is down in the normal operational position.

IMG_3638.JPG

funin the sun

Seaman
No Title

The little hole below my thumb

Attachments

• photo234221.jpg
    photo234221.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

funin the sun

Seaman
And yes the motor is down in operating mood when i pump primer buld gas will come out that little hole as shown in the pic i posted.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That is a metered vent hole and the same as stated above applies: Either the needle is bad or the float is sticking in the down position. Disassemble and clean the carb well. If this does not solve the problem then buy a rebuild kit including the needle and seat.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF???? You have to buy a kit???
Compare the parts to what​ you already have.
The kits can be way different than what you have.

Most times a good cleaning will work.
I used Dawn and hot water.
Then blow dry with compressed air.
Don't use any sprays like WD or PB Blaster it can gum it up if it's setting for a while.