Force 125 Experience... help for you

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
I want to take the time to give special thanks to many iboaters that have helped me along the way with my limited knowledge in mechanics. Thanks Jerry,pnboat,frank and many others.
Finally I could post some hints for new force owners
Before you go ahead and post here on iboats always make a search. You would not believe how much info is in the archives. I would say at least 80% of all issues I had, there was some kind of reference or related topic.

As per electrical system read the cdielectronicdotcom. You will have many ideas and helpful troubleshooting?s but here is my minimum I wold do? redo ALL conections, shrink wrap is crap, check resistance on all components, if not in tolerance buy used but only if you could check resistance. If you have an intermittent problem change modules with NEW not used. I don?t care who says otherwise I went through 8 cdi boxes until I bought new ones and bingo all is well. Assure your flywheel key is not lose or magnets broken.

As per engine.. check all cylinders for compression all cylinders must be close to same psi otherwise you are spending money for nothing.

Fuel system. Install clear filter that will be your #1 friend to diagnose if you are receiving fuel. If you see you clear filter has bubbles or half full change diaphragms all seals and all fuel lines. Install direct no quick connects.

Carbs? clean them like they have a disease.. I mean take your time. And put them into specs I find mine almost every year get out of sync thus must check. Please see video of the link and sync procedure.

Starter be aware that a rebuild could be a good situation but in my latest experience buy new you could find them for 50-60.. I was tols to keep they maintained. I will be doing that on my yearly winter chore.

My latest discovery!! Lower Unit.. check the LU for any leaks. Do a pressure test I had 0 and every year I sis not understand why I would gradually lose speed. In the spring I would have the engine go 4400-4600 and by the end of the season I 4100-4200. Now after my LU rebuild she running 5100. I also went synthetic im not sure if that helps but in my experience in my life synthetic had helped in my trucks and cars.

Tilt and trim? very cheap fix for most force owners it?s just a small seal in the body valve. There are many links what to do.
Please note this is just a read and there is many things I left out but wanted to share my experience and I?m happy now after all the love hate relationship with this engine

Please gentlemen feel free to add but I think some of the guru?s mentioned above can share more light on this subject and ultimately a sticky could be in order. That way a brief summary can help all fellow force owners a little help.
Thanks guys!! Just fogged the engine to store her away.

Last edited: