hot rectifier

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Funin -- I recommend an infrared heat gun for multiple uses. From your description, it sounds like your rectifier is acting normally, and would guess it's in the range of 130 to 140 degrees F from what you say. That's a long way from melt down. But with a gun, you can get a benchmark for future reference. While you are at it, you can check the operating temp at relevant electrical connectors, again for a benchmark. With any connections, additional resistance produces additional heat. You will get heat at a shorted or poor connection -- in a faulty starting circuit, for example, easily hot enough to burn your hand or burn insulation. Your engine surface operating temp at the top of the head should be under 160F, typically 120-140 or so. It varies. But the temp gun can give you something objective to go on with the various motor systems. Knowing is better than guessing, IMO.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Remember that the whole engine block is going to get about 140 degrees when run for a while. The rectifier is mounted on the starter mount of the block and thus will also be at the temperature of the engine. Remember that residential hot water is recommended to be at 125 degrees because 130 will scald skin. Thus. at 130-140 degrees you can momentarily touch the engine but it will be very uncomfortable to leave your hand or finger on it.

At any rate, a warm rectifier should be normal.

don't go crazy analyzing and overthinking things

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^good advice (gm280 too). Object is to have some fun.

A year or so ago, I was fretting over engine temp on an old inboard I run -- so got the infrared gun to see if I was overreacting. I was. After getting readings during a couple of trips, I got an idea of what the normal temp range was for that engine, and then let go of the issue. It's still running fine. But it helped me get a clearer idea of what I had. (Still use the gun regularly when working on my old outboards -- and for steam radiators in our wonky old heating system.)

Good luck. Good boating.

(btw, our hot water temp is 117.3F at the faucet. You need one of these guns.)