hard start can it be mechanical?

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
ok guys this is for archives..

i received the new after market starter and the spinning of the engine i never hear before.

even after a rebuild that cost me 100$

i purchased an aftermarket made in china starter and i cannot explain to you the difference... amazing!! so now the question is how long do they usually last?

i could tell you this the second it starts slightly stop spinning like this im ordering another one.

mike

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They last as long as you take care of it..
Regular maint. will go a l​ong way.
Every year or so I take my starters apart and clean them.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Only issue that I've seen with the cheap starters is the quality of the insulation on the wire that is used for the windings on the armature. The wire itself has a very thin insulation. If the starter is used in a manner that gets it hotter than normal, the insulation seems to break down very easily and cause a short easier than a good high quality starter. The higher quality starters have a better insulation on the armature windings so they'll take more abuse.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A motor in good condition starts right up and no damage is done to a starter.--But people ignore what it says in manuals.--" do not crank for more than 10 seconds without resting the starter.----That results in overheating the windings and damaging the " magnet wire " that is wound in a starter !!!---A thin , very thin coating in on the copper wire !!