1997 force 120hp starting problem until starter fluid is added

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi and how are you? i need solution to my problem. my motor will not start but it will turn . until i spray starter fluid into the carb then it will start. i will let it run and turn it off. if i try to start it again it will start up without the starter fluid. but if l let it sit for a long time and come to start it , it will not start until i spray starter fluid into the carbs.

what could be the problem and how do i go about to fix it.

yes i always pump the fuel bulb till it get hard or fill with gas.

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Do you put the throttle control handle in the "Neutral Fast Idle" position and use the choke when you start?

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes i do. i do so by pressing in the bottom not the trim or tilt switch and move it forward about half way. also when i start, i put in the key and press in and then turn it.

i have a 1995 bayliner capri boat . the ignition and boat wires are 95 bayliner capri and the engine i changed because my 95 engine had a cracked. so i put a 97 engine with all 97 engine parts like rotor, stator, engine wiring and ignition board where the coils are attached.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Sounds like maybe your choke or fuel enrichment system is not working properly. Do you know if you have a mechanical choke that closes the butterfly plate in each carburetor or do you have a fuel enrichment solenoid?

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
CHOKING IS DONE IN THE KEY CYLINDER. I HAVE FUEL ENRICHMENT SOLENOID. HOW CAN I CHECK IT TO MAKE SURE IT WORKING PROPERLY

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
You can do a quick test by pushing in on the key after you start the engine and it is idling. The motor should stall or almost stall when you push in on the key. This would indicate that the fuel enrichment solenoid is working as it is dumping extra fuel into the motor.

Make sure you are not holding the key in for too long. You should only have to hold it in for 3 or 4 seconds at most. If you hold it in too long, it will flood the motor and you'll have a really difficult time getting it started. If the solenoid is working and it doesn't start the first time after engaging the choke, try starting it again a few times without engaging the choke. This will help to clear out any excess fuel. If you keep choking it each time and it doesn't start, you're just dumping more and more fuel into the motor.

One other thing to check is ignition timing. Make sure it's set correctly. Does the motor run well after it's started?

One other thing I almost forgot to mention was make sure you are pushing the throttle far enough forward when in the Neutral fast idle position when starting.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you pumping the bulb until it's firm to fill the carbs during the cold start?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
rzkas,
I had the exact same problem with my 1993 Force 150. I checked everything mentioned above and it was all OK, but the problem remained. I had just about gotten used to having to pull the cover for the first start every day so I could give it a little extra squirt of fuel. But then it got harder and harder to start. Ultimately it turned out to be the starter failing. It was not turning the engine over fast enough to catch without the extra squirt. I replaced the starter (I got mine at a local auto parts store) and it solved the problem.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Weak starter, weak battery, fuel enrichment primer has a bad diaphragm.
Start with a compression check.
Unhook one of the lines from the primer, have someone hit the key as you watch.
It should pump fuel out the line.

The old style choke was operating as long as you hold the key in.
The primer is a one shot deal. It only pumps fuel ​when you push in the key.
You have to keep pushing the key to get more fuel.
Holding it in only operates it once.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes i do pump the bulb. ok i will check with the hose unhook