Strength of a Force 2:1 lower unit

Shifflett115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1990 force 150 , the original lower unit is bad , I have a 2:1 lower unit off an 1985 85hp lower unit I had on my 125 force , will it hold up to the HP of the 150 until I find someone to rebuild the original lower unit ?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
It'll most likely work fine as a temporary fix until you can find a replacement or fix the original as long as you don abuse it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
A long time ago I put a 2-1 lower unit on a Chrysler 140. It lasted for a few years then suddenly gave up the ghost and totally failed--stripped all the gears to the point where I almost could not get it apart. A number of years ago, fellow called Franz, who probably forgot more than I'll ever know, did tell me that when put on bigger engines the 2-1 did strip gears. Of course, I ignored his advice LOL.

If you compare the actual gear teeth between the 1.76 Chrysler, the 1.93 Force, and the 2-1 Chrysler you will see that the 2-1 has much smaller teeth. THUS: beam strength is weaker and the teeth cannot take as much force as the other ratios. However, on the 120 engines there is a definite performance gain over the 1.76 Chrysler lower they normally come equipped with.

Given that the 150 has so much more torque than the 3 and 4 cylinder engines, I would not expect a good service life from a 2-1 ratio lower unit.

If you have it and if you don't care about it self destructing, AND if you regularly boat in an area where losing a lower unit won't require a long tow or coast guard assistance, then by all means try it. However, I would not try to run at full throttle.

The 1.93 dual exhaust lower unit is a much better alternative AND, it has a larger Mercury style water pump. Cooling water volume MAY be a concern with the 2-1 lower unit.

BTW: Do not rebuild the original lower unit unless it is just bearings and seals. Rebuilt units are available but cost more than a whole engine. And, unless rebuilt by a professional with the correct tools it will not last anyway. Look for a good used lower unit for around 400 bucks.

Last edited:

Shifflett115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you frank for the info it really helps , maybe I'll put the 1.76.1 lower unit that I have on it for now , I plan to shop for another 1.93 to 1 duel exaust unit after Christmas .I just want to get the 150 in the water this year to see how it runs on the boat , with the prop I have with the 1985 125 I had on the boat my wot rpms were 4000 , I'm hoping with the 150 I can get more wot rpms with the same prop , that was with a 1.76: 1 lower unit on the 125