1990 force 150 lower unit parts

Shifflett115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know any websites that sell force lower unit parts, gears , drive shafts , ect .

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
There are some WEB sites, but the cost of a single new gear sometimes exceeds the cost of a complete used lower unit. I see some new old stock/used gears that come up for sale on some of the on-line auction sites too. Even the used gears can be pretty pricey.

It's more difficult to replace a gear in the lower unit, because you have to have special tools (both for measuring and installation) and special shims so the gears have the correct clearance. If the gears do not have the correct clearance or back lash, they usually don't last very long and are can be pretty noisy. The tools and shims are no longer made. Just a lot easier to replace the complete lower unit.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Like pwnboat says: Because of the technical difficulties in replacing gears it is better and usually cheaper to buy a good used lower unit. The 150 can use MANY lower units but the best choice would be the dual exhaust lower units from a late Force 85 to 125 or, of course, a 150. These would be from about 1989 to 1994. After that, Mercury lower units were used and will not fit.

These Force lower units are all swappable. All use the same gear ratio and water pumps, and all have the same mounting bolt pattern, and in fact all use a two piece drive shaft. Single exhaust lower units can be used at a slight decrease in performance.

you CAN (if desperate) use a lower unit from a Chrysler engine from about 1979 on but these have a different gear ratio and will hamper performance. These are one piece drive shaft units and you must be certain that the drive shaft is the correct length to fit your engine.

Last edited:

Shifflett115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a couple lower units, I have a 2.1 off of a 1985 85 HP a 1.76.1 off a 1977 Chrysler 135 or a 1.73.1 off a 125, with my 1985 125 with the prop I ran with the 1.76 lower the boat would run 34 mph at 4200 rpm , with the 2.1 lower it would run 34 at 5000 rpm so I think I'll try the 1.76 .1 lower on the 150 HP and see what it does