force 125 parts interchangeable

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1987 force 125hp anyone have any idea how interchangeable the lower units and other parts are between years

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Most everything is up to 1994 except there are differences in the ignition starting around 90 or 92. 1983-1986A has different wiring connectors. Are you looking for a particular part ?

Last edited:

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
The lower unit a neibor has a 125 force but it's white looks a lot more like the chryslers but I swear the lower unit look spot on I think his is a 84

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Yes the lower unit will fit as long as both engines are 20". Most are. I have a 1987 lower unit on my white 1985 force 125.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
He said he would sale me the whole motor for 500.00. I know it runs good in the driveway

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 84 used the same lower.
The ignition is probably ​different.

Do a compression test.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was told by a friend that the white chyrsler/force, was actually more powerfull than the newer ones, sounds crazy to me and anyway does anyone have a idea what year they changed over from the white to the newer style

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
False! White Chrysler engines were no more powerful than the white Force engines or any other Force.. In fact, when Chrysler was forced to divest to Brunswick, the two white Force engines (1984-85 and 1985-86) were simply Chrysler engines with different decals. It was either 1986 or 1987 when Brunswick changed the color and shape of the Force line.

Force continued with Prestolite ignition forma few more years, then in a effort to improve the engines, Brunswick started substituting Mercury Components. After 1994, the engines had Mercury lower units, water pumps, different pistons and longer connecting rods. Mercury ignition completed the package. These engines made earlier versions look tame, were quite competitive, and could keep up with the other brands.

White Chrysler engines were simply easier to customize with paint and decals and for that reason I prefer them to Force engines.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1987 force 125 great compression numbers, bad lower unit, I can buy a 1984 white force for what I can buy a lower unit for. The thing I was trying to figure out is if the white force has as good of compression should I go with the white lower unit on my 87 force or just run the white 1984 complete

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I've seem lower units cheaper than 500. Like 100-300 But if you do buy the whole engine just swap lowers. That is much easier

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found a lower unit for my fathers 70 hp force a few years ago for 150.00 but I havnt found anything for this 125 for under 450.00

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
here is an example of one that just sold on ebay - i was actually going to send you this one to look at but it just sold yesterday: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Fo...ash=item4af291879c:g:fYoAAOSw14xWJFH~&vxp=mtr

anyhow, the 85 hp ones (like this one) will fit too - they are a different gear ratio but they do fit. Might require a different prop pitch.

here is another that will "fit" but you might have to cut a small piece of webbing out of the mid leg so the water pump doesn't hit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/force-chrys...ash=item2a5ab6a4af:g:ZdUAAOSwT5tWKWma&vxp=mtr

this one will also work - it had the extended prop shaft so some of it will stick out past the prop: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Fo...ash=item3f54fe04d7:g:UyEAAOSwd0BV7KpN&vxp=mtr

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
well my lower unit came by fedex today, and the shaft is around 5 inches to short. I feel like ive been kicked in the gut. I'm going to find some type of extension kit if at all posable

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Ahhh! You didn't mention that you had a 25 inch extra long shaft engine. There is no extension available and it is not possible to swap drive shafts. Sell the lower unit you just bought and buy another to fit. After 1989 the lower units came with a two piece drive shaft. Thus it is possible to buy any lower unit and separately buy the longer top drive shaft if you can not find one with the longer shaft already included. Besides, these lower units have a 1.93 to 1 gear ratio and you should see a slight gain in performance.

BTW: you can tell the shaft length is 25 inches simply by measuring down from the transom clamps to the anti-ventilation plate (cavitation plate)

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
what about the lower unit off of a 1995 150hp I know its dual exhaust will it still fit my 1987 125hp

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The 150 was only made until 1994. However,the lower unit itself has the same mounting bolt pattern and will bolt up. On your 125 there is a web between the center two mounting bolt holes on the midleg. Since the water pump is larger, you may need to cut out some of this web for clearance. You also need to be certain that the two piece drive shaft is the correct length.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok guys 1 more question then I promise I will leave you all alone, I found a guy with a 1984 white force 125hp with a bad power head for next o nothing the problem is it has the 20 inch shaft, my 1987 has the 25" my question is can I change out the mid section of the 84 with the mid section of my 87 and once again thank you all for your help

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
First off, is the transom on your boat 25 inch? If so, while you can change midlegs, performance will suffer a lot. The prop and anti-ventilation plate will be too high.

Now back to the question. YES, you can change midlegs, even with the engine mounted on the boat, but it is a LOT of work. A while back I swapped a two piece midleg for the newer one piece to test if the one piece lower unit was faster. It was. But, it also was a lot of work.

Unless you really want the blown engine, stick to finding a lower unit with a 25 inch shaft.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well to be completely honest I had no clue the force was a 25 inch that's my fault, but my boat only has a transom for a 20 inch. Would it easier to switch power Heads or mid sections