Force 85 resale value

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I'm looking for some winter projects. I see a couple of opportunities for some force 85 engines in my area. If I get them with good compression, cleanup and get them running and shifting smoothly what are the worth this spring as a complete unit ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Depends on your market

Here in WV there aren't a lot of OBs offered for sale. Those that are offered, are priced high, IMO, and the market must agree. They seem to linger on craigs for a while.

Others will disagee, but I wouldn't even call about a Force listed for sale.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Here in Southeast Pa. I frequently either buy or trade them. Personally I have about 20 various sized Chrysler and Force engines.

A lot of people are wary of these engines and they are usually too big to just throw in a car so buyers usually either take them in a truck or have us mount them on the boat.

For an engine in very clean condition WITH power tilt/trim and controls I usually ask 1500 OBO but again, I may usually settle for 1000. It really depends upon what I paid initially and how much work and parts I needed to put into it. However: I offer a test ride on the river in addition to starting on muffs to show that the engine really is in good running condition.

Smaller outboards sell faster and are easier to get rid of. We prefer sizes around 9.9 to 25 HP. Because of the lake restrictions, 9.9 engines sell at a premium.

An engine that size without power tilt is a bit of a chore to raise and lower, and trailer without power tilt, price goes down to 600 or so. In any case, do it as a hobby, don't expect to retire off earnings. And remember: anything goes wrong with the engine they are going to come back. Thus you must sell with the 30-30 guarantee: 30 seconds or 30 steps. Seriously, you must make it crystal clear that the engine runs now but there is no guarantee

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Some are snobs and don't appreciate a good motor..
Forces are a good running motor.
People talk bad about them but usually are wrong or haven't owned one.

ANY motor can and WILL break down if it's not maintained​.

Like Frank said , don't expect to get rich.

A motors worth what someone's willing to pay for it.

If I resell I go through and make sure it has no problems.
That usually includes a head removal and inspection.

Had a good running 125.
Bought it cheap.
Listed to sell but before I did I removed the head.
Found scoring in 2 cyl.

Ended up selling AFTER new pistons and a bore job.

It's still running a couple of years later.Gregsmere in Va.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
They don't bring much in my area and no dealer's will even work on them. I just carried a blown 150 force to the scrap yard a couple months ago, brought $57!! Got a 40hp powerhead that's next.....