Fogging non-running engine

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys......my boat restoration project got a little long winded. Didn't help that it was already mid Sept. when I bought it! Winter is sneaking in up here in the great white north...and due to availability of some crucial parts the motor never got running! It wasn't run last year either but was stored in the PO's heated basement. It won't have that luxury this winter! Can I just put it In gear so I can run the throttle wide open and spray fogging oil in it while cranking it over? Then spray some in each spark plug hole and turn the flywheel by hand a few times? Does that sound like a plan?.... It will be outside on the boat all winter but covered. Already have the oil to change the lower unit. I havn't 't had it in water but have already found enough issues to not believe everything I was told about it. So I'm wanting to make sure there is NO water in the gear case. Thanks.. Steve

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Spraying fogging oil in the carbs and spark plug holes while cranking over will work fine.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks...I assumed it would do the job. But....I've been known to assume wrong on occasion.

Jiggz

Captain
That's exactly how I store mine. However, since it is a running engine, I have to run it with treated stabilizer fuel oil mix so the carbs are filled with treated gas. And yes, I spray generously into each plug hole and manually rotate the flywheel and put back in the plugs hand tight. The other thing is to check the LU oil to make sure it is not contaminated. All I do first is to draw a sample through the drain hole. If it is clear and bright I just leave it alone. If it is not, then I change oil.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good idea on the lower unit oil! I found fishing line and some small diameter cord wrapped around behind the prop. Since I got it out it has a slight seep .....around the prop shaft I'd assume