WD40 light glaze over motor? 95 120hp

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
I remember reading this some years ago and tried it for a couple winters on my 85hp. Didn't seem to bother it.
Would anyone recommend this or Not do this?
Thx Dave

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if it makes you feel comfortable, then do so. if I were to spray anything, I would clean it and spray fluidfilm.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
ANY lube is better than NONE!
,The moving parts: linkage​,connectors,starter worm gear etc.
The steering cable needs OIL not grease.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
WD40 builds up, hardens and turns to varnish overtime. I use an "oil rag" to wipe my motor down anytime I have a cover off. It's the same rag I use to wipe up after filling the oil tank with 2 stroke oil. 5 year old motor. Saltwater only. We will not find rust on anything.

Nothing to "oil" on a motor. Linkage should be greased annually. A shot of white lithium grease works well to keep the starter bendix working freed up.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
WD= Water Displacement. 40th formula developed. Couldn't do any harm. However there are better compounds especially if the engine is used in salt water.I had a 125 that had a sticky substance sprayed over the entire engine block. Waxy like substance. P.O told me that WD40 removed it. However. I just left it for a number of years.This was a salt water engine and showed NO surface corrosion.