1991 or 96, not sure, down trim not working, need help...

spindoc

Recruit
I have a 1991 ( i think) title says 96, but I think its a 91. mercury force 120 outboard on Cobra Bass Ski. The down trim button stopped working. Up works fine. Although now the engine is all the way up, and I can't get it back down. I've found what i believe are the relay switches I want to take off and test and or replace, but I can't figure out how to lower the unit manually so I can even get to the relays.

The hydraulic cyclinder on the right side of the engine has a big plastic screw on it, after finding some info on the net, i tried to unscrew it to lower the unit, no go. the screw just comes off, can't push the engine down.

So, where is the dang release to manually lower the engine? If its on the right side of that cyclinder then its not allowing me to lower. the UP button on my throttle allows me to go UP, but of course its all the way up so it just makes the noise as if its going to far. (i only hit it for a split second to make sure its working.)

Here are some photos if it helps.

Attachments

• 2015-10-06%2015.22.44.jpg
    2015-10-06%2015.22.44.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-10-06%2015.22.29.jpg
    2015-10-06%2015.22.29.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-10-06%2015.22.37.jpg
    2015-10-06%2015.22.37.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0

Jiggz

Captain
If the tilt is working in the up position, it's most likely the problem with the down tilting is the down relay. There are two relays in that system and both are identical except for the wiring. Switch the relays and see if the problem moves around, i.e. it will come down but will not come up. Then you know you need a new relay. As for the manual release valve, the one shown in the photo looks like a fill cap. I could be wrong but you can always try it by turning it CCW three times and if is a manual release valve the unit should come down on its own slowly.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The engine is NOT a 96 because it does not have a Mercury lower unit. The white arrow is the fill plug, not the manual release. The manual release s the white slotted screw on the rear of the pump. Screw that out and you will be able to get the engine to drop BUT---oil will squirt out. I have released this plug a few turns but never been able to lower the engine. It only works for me when the plug is completely removed. DO NOT damage or lose this white nylon plug. It costs about 60 bucks new.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Under the electrical components, "the coil and packs" on the motor is a foundry mark. It will have the year stamped into it.
The T@T could be from a later model?

More pics of the motor, the drive too.

The hull # will tell what year the boat is.​

Jiggz

Captain
Your motor is absolutely a 91. There are three types of T&T installed on those motors including yours. Check boats dot net for more info both on your motor and the T&T system.