150 HP Force Outboard, Not getting full Throttle

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
150 HP Force Outboard, Model # 1501X91J & Serial # 025739.

I pulled the cover off to see if the controls & cable were working properly, they seem to be traveling the full distance. When it's in the full throttle position you can manually push the carbs open about another .5", I assume this is why I'm losing our top-end speed.

When I look at the arm going up under the flywheel which I assume advances the timing it seems to stop on the motor like it should, as if it won't/can't go any further. But by manually pushing the carbs open I still can't figure out how to get the carbs to open all the way.

Other then this issue the motor runs fine.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks/Jerry

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
At the top of the forum page I have a tutorial explaining how to synchronize carbs and timing. Access the video and watch it.

Remember that carbs can be rotated past the horizontal position by hand so being able to move the carb levers by hand does not necessarily mean you are fully opening them.

If you feel you are not getting enough RPM or speed, by all means check for spark on all cylinders and check compression ratio. These are the two most basic troubleshooting tests and should be the first things done.

Last edited:

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just finished testing, spark is good on all 5 cylinders and have 145 Lbs in each.

I noticed when the throttle is WOT the butterflies are only open 25%. I watched the timing video but can't figure out how to adjust.

Jerry

Charlie75

Cadet
I'm not sure what year your motor is, but if it's of Chrysler origin: be sure to use the original Chrysler remote cable ball joint connector on the throttle-cable at the motor end (the long one). Otherwise it would be almost impossible to get things working right on the linkage.

I once bought a 1971 55 HP for almost nothing. The previous owners had struggled for hours trying to get the motor to speed up. They dumpped the motor thinking there was something seriously wrong with it, when the only problem was they had tried to time, adjust and sync the motor using a universal type of cable connector on the throttle cable!

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motor is a 1991 2 stroke.

The cabled/throttle handle seem to travel the full distance. The arm that comes from under the flywheel stops on the motor when WOT as it appears it should.

Jerry

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
OK! If you are getting full throw on the cable and the plastic block stop is actually hitting the block or bolt, the problem is in the ball linkage. Try this: Remove the plastic ball link from the timing tower. Put the engine controls in wide open throttle. Now adjust bot ball links so that the throttle butterflies are fully open or in horizontal position when clipped back onto the ball stud... This will change the idle position though.

THUS, watch the video until you understand it because all adjustments are connected. Changing one changes other. You MUST start from a known position and synchronize from there.

Remember that all 3, 4, and 5 cylinder engines have the same linkage and are adjusted the same . So, do not just watch the 5 cylinder segment of the video. Watch the whole thing.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
Frank,

Thank you for both the video and the advice, went down to the boat today after watching the video several times made the adjustments per stated. The adjustments solved the problem and the motor is running just fine. (Great)
The boat owner (My Friend) wanted to buy you a beer for the advice, I'm afraid I had to take it on your behalf due to logistics.

But once again this site has proven to be an asset, my issue has been resolved and exceeded my expectations.

Thanks/Jerry