what's actually normal, or hard starting?

BackyardKrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Guys,

So I'm still fairly new to the "larger" outboard scene. I went from a 15hp to a 1989 125hp Force. So I'm trying to work out all the bugs before I strip this boat completely down for a full restoration this winter. I actually really like the Force, it very powerful and seems quite simple.

When I start this engine cold, I pump the bulb 3-4 times, I can feel a bit of air the first 2 times anyways. I throttle full ahead and choke, and I crank for 3 sec at least 2 times before it'll kick or start. I had an issue while wide open on the lake with what i determined was fueling, so I stuck a new fuel pump diaphragm in and that fixed that. I'd hoped it would fix my start issue as well, but no.

I seafoamed it as per the sticky here, and synced the carbs A1. It idles very well, no stalling when I put it in gear and opens up to full power smoothly. I haven't touched the carb adjustments. I have not had the chance to check the timing.

Am I expecting too much from an older 2 stroke to start more easily?

Also, I purchased (online) a shop manual, and the timing specs say differently than the 28deg everyone else is saying on here... I doubt 28deg is wrong it just sparked my curiosity as all. I f someone could clarify that'd be great!

Thanks for all the great info!

Attachments

• force timing.jpg
    force timing.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sounds normal for a 2-cycle that has been sitting. is your choke an enrichment solenoid (button or push key in), or a choke plate on the carb (lever)

remember, this is a 2-stroke carb'd motor and not a fuel-injected motor.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Cranking twice for only three seconds before it starts is not a problem. Someday sit at the ramp and watch others struggling to start.

Now, I read somewhere that static timing at cranking speeds to 28 degrees is correct and the timing will advance to 30 degrees during running at wide open throttle. HOWEVER, static timing is only a ball park number and the only really important number is timing on the water in wide open throttle. When in doubt, use the factory timing specs.

BackyardKrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, Thanks. if its starting that way cold and its normal, then that makes me feel better. If I get chance, Ill double check the static timing to see if its close to 28deg. I'd hate to loose a few valuable hp due to lack of timing!

Thanks guys!

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the choke is working properly it should light right off...if all else is in proper tune. Mine all do! Pisses people off with all the high dollar new stuff!

Fed

Commander
If I had a cold carby 2 stroke outboard light right off I'd think there was something wrong with it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Fed said it!!!

I hadn't ran my motors for 2-3 mo.
The stbd. took 3 turns on the key.
Port 1 turn.
A couple of years ago the port motor wouldn't start unless I tilted it up out of the water.
I'd pump the ball and advance the throttle and choke it and NOTHING!!!
Then I'd tilt it up and it fires first time.
I shut it down and lowered it and she starts all day with no problems.

I figured this out one day when it wouldn't start and hit the key when the motor was tilted.
I was reaching for the other key and hit the port instead and it fired.
Sometime about 2-3 years ago it started without tilting????

BackyardKrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all the info guys.

The choke solenoid is working on both carbs, A1. It also coughs and gags for a bit when she does fire up. Sometimes stalls once. If I put it in gear, it likes that load on the engine and smooths right out.

I suppose its nature of the beast, I came from a 15hp Mariner that started first pull every time and never missed a beat.