Force 50 stator replacement - new part has more wires?

chieftaing

Cadet
Replacing stator on Force 507X7C. Got new part from marineengines.com - part 300-888793. New part has 8 wire pairs, including heavy yellow wires with connector on end. Original part is 300-F658095.

I think i can match the old solid blue to the new brown/blue, and the old yellow/green to the new brown/yellow/green - correct?
Then just tape unused and zip tie them out of the way?

Any other testing I can do to make really sure?

Thx

chieftaing

Cadet
Got the "OEM" part from MarineEngine; called them and while they were helpful, they were surprised to hear about 8 wires as well. I took a chance and called CDI; they were super helpful and suggested it was an old "Standard Magneto" part. Sure enough, the FC XXXX stamped on the new part matched (but not exactly) some info Standard Magneto had on their web site. Guy at CDI said it might work, but he was really down on the Standard Magneto and especially old parts - saying they were fragile in the windings themselves.

So, I'm returning the OEM part, getting a CDI part, and the CDI instructions (plus clarification when I called) tell me how to hook up new stator. I'll update when its installed.

chieftaing

Cadet
Back in business!!!

Flywheel nut came off using air-powered impact wrench; needed deep impact socket from
Lowest - $5 or so.

Flywheel popped off no problem using puller with new grade 5, long enough bolts. I tightened down on center bolt a bunch, tried striking center bolt with hammer but it didn't pop. Rather than wailing on the center bolt, i started tightening the bolts going into the flywheel, turning each a few turns going around the three bolts in a circle. When tightening 3rd bolt or maybe around once back to the first bolt, it popped of.

CDI stator fit like a glove. Its very well made. One bolt of four was missing - i didn't loose it - honest - so i got a #12-24 1.5 inch brass bolt from local ACE hw (lowest didn't have it), bolted stator in place, using some loctite on threads for good measure.

Replaced rectifier with CDI part. The screw holes in the connectors were not large enough for old screws, so i got some #4 1/4 inch SS screws, washers & nuts. Tightened all electrical connections real well, slathered on some heat transfer grease on back like instructions said, added some wire ties just for good measure.

Torqued flywheel nut to spec uding a flat pry bar to jam the flywheel teeth & sturdy part of starter motor, had my beefy son pull on the torque wrench.

Started motor & it caught on the 2nd crank. Whew!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Sounds like everything pretty much went according to plan. Good job!.