Engine not starting

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have. 1988 Bayliner Capri with a Force Outboard 85hp
I'm trying to start my boat but all I hear is a buzz and a click click. Then nothing. Eventually all I heard was a click. Now. I hear nothing. Doesnt do anything.
It seemed to get progressively worse.
Any ideas. I recently replaced the starter and solenoid because the other starter was bad. Battery is fully charged.
Another question. What does pushing the ignition key in do before turning to start?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The ignition switch is Push-To-Choke. You push in the key and hold it in while cranking to choke the engine for a cold start only. Warm starts just turn the key.

Even though you claim the battery is fully charged, try a different battery. A 12 volt battery can show fully charged yet have no reserve or cranking capacity. While you are at it clean the wire terminals with some fine sandpaper and use a lockwasher under the wires on the battery terminals.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Frank. As for Push-to-choke, do you push for a few seconds unpush and turn or push for a few seconds the turn while still pushing?
Does this help start it when it's cold?

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The choke only works when the key is pushed in.
For cold starts: Pull the throttle out and push the handle forward( a tiny bit) for fast idle.
Then , turn key and push in and hold till it starts or coughs.
If it coughs?? Then turn key without holding the key in.
Too long on the key will possibly flood the motor.