How to prime 1986 Bayliner Capri 125hp Force outboard

Hello everyone,

I just traded a gas fireplace that was installed in my house when I bought it for a project boat, and I am really excited about it! It wasn't turning over when I bought it, but a glance at the wiring diagram and I discovered one of the wires was disconnected, so now it's turning over, but before I crank it over too much I would like to ask how many times I prime the bulb, and if there is anything else I should know before I really attempt to start it.

Also, I have discovered that one of the ignition wires has a hole in it, and that it's pretty much hard wired to ignition coil, is there anyway around paying for the entire pack?

Thanks in advance, I am looking forward to getting this thing running!

Dave

I guess one more question,,, I didn't touch the priming bulb at all when I turned the key, and I also didn't hear the fuel pump kick on either. Should I be able to hear the fuel pump cycle before turning the engine over like on a car?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

You squeeze the bulb until it gets firm. How many times depends how much fuel is in the line. You'll feel when it firms up.

Also on the fuel, unless you have an electric fuel pump, which is very doubtful, you won't hear it. The fuel pump is activated by the vacuum and pressure pulses in the crankcase - Total silent.

Don't understand that one of the ignition wires has a hole in it. Can you explain a little more.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If you are still getting spark to the plug, and don't want to buy another coil assembly, fill the hole with silicone and wrap well with electrical tape. If the wire is broken and no spark gets to the plug then you must buy another coil.

Thank you GA Boater, I it's good info, and I am hopeful that it is a vacuum operated fuel system.

The spark plug wire has a hole in where the plug meets the wire, also all of the plugs are rusty, and rust falls out of the wires when I tap them against the block, they look pretty bad, but I will try cleaning them and patching the wire. I guess thats it for this thread,,, thank you so much!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
To "Prime"
You have a choke that's activated by the key switch.
When turning the key, you push in and it closes the choke shutter and enriches the fuel/air mixture.
You push/turn and hold it till it starts or coughs.
Then release the choke and try starting again.
Usually the choke isn't needed once it coughs.

When it's warm you shouldn't need a choke to restart.