Timing Light Question

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
For my rebuild I bought the Innova timing light model linked below, which has the built in tach. I was having a hard time figuring out why, while using this light, my idle would not go below ~1100 rpms in neutral (in tank) even though I had back the throttle cam all the way off of the eccentric screw on the carb. Well it finally occurred to me today that I didn't recall changing any setting on the light to 2-stroke. I looked up the product info and it says in the FAQ section that it is not supported on 2-stroke engines.

Even though it states this, there is no reason that the strobe light and timing advance feature for setting the timing would not work for both a 2 stroke and 4 stroke correct? Actually, I know the answer to this is yes. So really what I am wondering is if I can still use the tach feature by just dividing the display reading meant for a 4-stroke by 2 to get the equivalent 2 stroke rpms? If so, my past readings would all make sense as I was really idling at more like 500-600 rpms.

Jiggz

Captain
Absolutely correct. Dividing it by two will give you the 2 stroke rpm.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks jiggz! I can't believe I didn't consider this eatrlier!