Chrysler Jet Question

brent walker

Cadet
I just joined today. I have a 1977 90hp Chrysler with a jet pump. It runs 30mph wide open I use it on the Meramec River in Missouri. Does anyone know if that jet pump will fit any other outboards?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved this to a new thread, Brent. The other thread was over 2 years old and your best shot at an answer is a new thread. Look at the Help Tip on top of the page for a full explanation.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Gee! 30 MPH is not too bad for a 90 jet because at least 25% of power is lost in converting to jet drive.

The 77 was an old 2 piece lower unit engine with a nice taper on the back of the midleg. You can use a 1975-77 105, 120, 125, or 140 (I think they made a 140 in 77, but not sure. Unless the jet drive has extra mounting holes it will not fit later Chrysler engines OR other brands.

However, you do have me curious. I have never seen one. Please post a couple of photos.

brent walker

Cadet
Thanks for moving my post. I'm new at this. I appreciate the info about other models. I'm looking at a 135 but wasn't sure if I could use my jet on a higher horsepower motor. I broke down on my last trip out and am waiting for the service manual I ordered to show up to try to troubleshoot the problem. I thought it lost compression on a cylinder but tested compression today and it good. 135 to 140 on all three. I also changed the plugs. It backfires and occasionally will "try" to start but no luck so far. I will post some pictures soon. Thanks again for the info and if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
While the late 1960s Chryslers look different, the bolt pattern is the same for the lower unit. I did not mention these engines because I did not think you would want to go so early. I forgot about the 135 but if it is the same 2 piece lower unit, you can use it. ALL Chrysler 3 and 4 cylinder engines from that time period used the same mid leg and lower unit mounting pattern.