Extra Ignition Wires

hbagley

Cadet
I have extra wires at my ignition. 1990 force 50 model 507X90D. The extra wires are Purple, black with yellow stripe, green w/yellow stripe, tan, blue w/white stripe, and gray w/purple stripe. I know the previous owner used some of them as they have connectors on some wire. The tan is for overheat buzzer I know that. The green w/white and blue w/white run back near by starting solenoid but are not hooked to anything although they have connectors.( I was thinking TNT} I have an ammeter I got off another boat. It has two prongs on the back. I would assume one would be for hot and one for ground ?? Are one of these wires supposed to be a hot wire for accessories? Can the hot side of the ammeter be hooked to the hot on a tach as well ?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Blue with white stripe and green with white stripe are trim/tilt up and down respectively. They have bullet connectors at the engine end. Very few 50s came with power TNT but the cable is standard for all engines. Yes, there is a retro-fit power TNT kit but it is rarer than hen's teeth. It also did not use the built in wiring.

Be careful with the ammeter. I believe it needs special wiring because it is measuring amps. Almost all these engines used a voltmeter if at all. The power for voltage came off the "I" or "A" terminal on the ignition switch as did the tachometer power. Tach signal was the purple wire. Black with yellow tracer was usually the stop circuit.

Last edited: