Force 85 box and cables

Johnnyfantastic

Recruit
I'm getting ready to replace the old control box and cables on my 1989 Force 85hp. I found an NOS control box on EBay, so I'm using the exact same parts. My question is can I use the old connection kit on the new cables? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated also!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If they do not show signs of wear or damage go ahead and use them. Otherwise, they are sold on most online marine stores, probably including iboats store.

Johnnyfantastic

Recruit
Thanks Frank. One other question, should I connect them at the motor or the box first? I've been stalking these forums for a while and the knowledge is amazingly helpful.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Always connect at the box first. Thread them about halfway onto the cable threads but you may need to adjust some later. You also adjust at the engine for best throw. Your engine should have a spring loaded quick-connect for throttle. Some did not though. If you do have the stainless spring loaded on, adjust so that in neutral the center slug is pulled out about 3/16 to 1/4 inch. This ensures positive throttle return. The quick connect is difficult to pull out so I always use some throttle on the control handle then connect the ball.