Used igntion parts

hbagley

Cadet
Im looking at getting a used ignition pack for a force 50hp. Price is a lot better than new. Is it worth the risk taking a chance on a used part to save $ or bite the bullet and pay for a new one ?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If you are buying on ebay, there are a lot of cheats out there. If you buy from a reputable seller with a return guarantee then there is little risk. BUT: You don't know how long the CD was in use or if it is close to the end of its life. Still, it is a better gamble than going to Atlantic City, Vegas, or the state lottery.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
outboardignition.com CDI - they have good prices and a 3 year warranty I believe - you can up it to 5 years for a fee. I bought a CD module from them b/c I wanted to get back on the water quick - but over the winter I picked up a bunch of ignition parts for under 70 bucks total - so I have a few spare CD's and a coil in my arsenal.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you are buying via EBay and the item stated in good working order and you find that it isn't. You do have recourse to go back through EBay for refunds or repairs and such. And I would make that a part of the deal with the seller as well. But there is no end of ability on any electronic components. It could run for decades or give out tomorrow. BUT, a new one can as well. If we seriously were able to know the end of life for any electronic component, we would never have failures on the water or roads or even space... There is no way to tell when the end of life is for any part...period!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
E-bay uses Pay Pal and that's the only way to buy anything!!!
Bought a roof top unit AC.
Said it was a 15000 BTU NOT, more like a 1500btu.
They wouldn't take it back because the box was opened???
Contacted PP and they got my $$$ returned.

I use PP if at all possible.