1987 Force 50 HP ignition coil compatibility?

skintner

Seaman
1987 Force 50 HP
Model 507X7B

The ignition coils on my outboard are leaking and ignition is sometimes *bumpy*. I would like to replace the coils and have found a source but the price quoted to me was $178. each. This is not within my budget

Is there a chart for finding other coils that would work with this motor (possibly / likely) requiring a mod to mount them?

There are other issues with this motor that make me want to replace it... I have found a rebuilt power head for it for $1600, but add in the coils and shipping alone it will exceed $2000 and I am fairly certain that I can find a newer motor (with readily available parts) for that price.

For now, the coils are primary concern just to finish this season out.

Thanks for your input!
steve

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Highway robbery! 1600 for a rebuild power head is about the going price but you can rebuild a 2 cylinder engine for less than 500, doing the work yourself. As for the coils, a photo would really help because Force did use some regular coils, but also used two different electronic ignitions.. If they are the regular coils with a cylindrical shape and using battery and points ignition, these coils were used on MANY Chrysler engines.

skintner

Seaman
Thanks for the reply, Frank. The coils on the motor are round / cylindrical. If I remember correctly there are points under the flywheel.

The do-it-yourself rebuild is out due to pistons no longer being made and are unavailable. There is possibility of cracked block judging from the evidence of water in the lower cylinder. It was overheated and seized before I bought it. I replaced the head gasket etc and the exhaust gasket (leaking water into the housing / cowl? ). I have water dripping from the water jacket(?) outside both spark plugs. The engine runs well for awhile but if you stop it dies and is difficult to start for awhile. I use it to go out to the area that I troll and usually fish long enough that the motor runs well enough to get back to the launch when I am finished.

I would buy the rebuilt power head but still facing the $350 for the coils...

I will take photos of the coils tomorrow and post them.

steve

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If the block is cracked then yes, it is junk. I believe the bore on that engine is 3.187 and further, I think Wiseco still makes replacement pistons. However, I don't have my catalog available.

However, these engines can be had for about 300 bucks in running condition so you could conceivably pick up one with a bad lower unit for a lot less and swap blocks. Or even look for a good used Chrysler or Force 50 They only weigh about 160 pounds so swapping a whole engine is easy.

I certainly would not buy a rebuilt powerhead. That is just way too much money for the desired result.

The water leaking from around the spark plugs is due to the seal on the flat water jacket cover failing. The cover is held by the head bolts and either an overheat switch or a 1/4 inch bolt. Either one will probably snap if you try to remove them. There is no real harm from water leaking out around the sparkplugs other than possibly shorting them so if you can live with it do so.

skintner

Seaman
Thanks again, Frank... If I could find one of these motors for $300 I would jump at it... that's less than the cost of new coils. So where would you recommend I look for one?

steve

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i see them on craigslist - check a couple of major cities close to you.

skintner

Seaman
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone tell me what years the power head and lower units are compatible? I just had my lower unit rebuilt this spring.

steve

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Almost all years are swappable. The bolt pattern was the same on the block and later Force 50s used a match plate to attach the block to the leg. Can you give a rough idea of your location?

skintner

Seaman
Thanks for that information, Frank. I am located 80 miles north of Spokane, Washington near the Canadian border. Coeur D Alene, Idaho is about the same distance. Roughly 400 miles from Seattle, WA.