Chrysler 105 outboard ?'s

cookie30

Cadet
First off I'm new to the site and have a few questions on this ol' 105 I got for a really good price. First Question, is the mix 50:1? Where or can I find a key for it or will I need to get a new switch? This thing doesnt have power tilt so could some one walk me thru the steps of tilting it by hand from being in the boat? this is the first manual lift I have ever had most have been power tilt. I just dont want to break anything or hurt my self. Also what type of oils do you use? Is there a steering lock on the motor somewhere? I can get it to turn but a hair? I feel like an idiot asking all the questions but I dont want to mess this beast up and just have scrap.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Nice engine but really old. They stopped making a 105 around 82-84 so it is earlier than that. Oil mix is 50 to 1 or 1 pint per 6 gallons gasoline. You can use almost any TWC-3 oil but cheapest is best. I always use Wal-Mart Super tech.

The engine does not have a steering lock so either the steering cable is rusted tight or the kingpin is jammed. Remove the cable from the nose of the engine and try to turn the engine by hand. If it moves freely, then the cable is at fault. Keys are difficult to find but the ignition switch is a standard six pole, push- to- choke switch, available at iboats store and almost any marina. Cost around 20 bucks.

To tilt the engine under the steering is a blak lever unless it has been broken off. Turn it to unlock and raise the engine by hand using the air intake on the back of the cover. If the lever is broken.reach down between the transom clamps and manually raise the locking plate that is over the tilt bar. Then raise the engine. On the side of one transom clamp will be a slotted plate with a portion of the slot raised up. This is the tilt lock plate. It may be missing or the bolt for it may be gone.

Post a couple of good photos of the transom and the lower unit. Also include a couple of photos with the cover off..

cookie30

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I just got this yesterday and just have it setting on there so no cables are hooked up and I can't turn it by hand. In the one pic is a black leaver that is going into the kingpin however I assume it is broke because I can pull it out. Due to the location of it I was thinking it was a steering lock of some sort. I won't be using the outboard to much due to most lakes around me are electric motor only. When I bought the boat it didn't have any outboard on it so I thought I would get one for it so when I do got to the lakes that allow it I would have it. It looks alil big for the boat to me but I assume it will still work.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That black lever connects to the bottom plate which locks the engine down. There should be a plastic cam about halfway down the shaft but these frequently break. From the cam a thin stainless rod goes down to the locking plate, secured by a small adjusting nut.. You can use a piece of stainless cable or even strong cord to attach to the plate and lift it to unlock the engine.

Best hope that the kingpin is not frozen. It is a miserable, long, and dirty job to free it. You can try pumping grease into it and heating, but if stuck tight usually nothing short of removal and cleaning will do the job.

cookie30

Cadet
No Title

I finely got the pics down to size. Take a look and give me any info on this beast. Thanks

Attachments

• photo229351.jpg
    photo229351.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229352.jpg
    photo229352.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229353.jpg
    photo229353.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229354.jpg
    photo229354.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229355.jpg
    photo229355.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
It is a 105 prior to 1976. It has the old style mid leg and lower unit. The original Motorola CD ignition has been replaced with an aftermarket one--Probably CDI. Ignition is distributor with probably points used to signal the CD unit.

It uses a splined shaft prop with a locating thrust pin. These props are becoming a little difficult to find, certainly none are available new. New old stock, maybe.

You can swap parts for the engine itself from many other year Chrysler engines but the lower unit will only swap with lower units up until 1977. The water pump is small and just adequate for cooling the engine. You usually can not find the impeller on dealer sites but after market sites like Valley Sales may have them