Timing 1975 battery ignition 45 Chrysler

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
So .... this motor so far has been so buggered I don't trust any things right. To time this thing the Clymer manual says you need special tool in spark plug hole. Ya.....like you'll ever find one of those! There is one hash mark on the flywheel... a sticker on the block with a TDC mark and 2 hash marks before and 2 after TDC on that sticker. No mention in manual of any of this. What is an alternative way to set this thing to 28 degs at WOT? I did this for a living for 42 yrs... but not outboards. Degree wheel .. dig out my old snowmobile spark plug timing kit that measured in thousandths of piston travel. Everything so far on this engine has been completely out of whack. I sure don 't want to burn it up. It looks brand new!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You can't use a lot of snowmobile tools on a outboard.
First thing the Clymer isn't the best thing to use.
Get a factory manual.

That tool is still available. Google or Mercury.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys... I'll figure something out. I thought about the counting the flywheel teeth thing.... there's a LOT of teeth ,I'd lose count where I was at about ten times before I got THAT right! ...Iv'e been retired too long from this stuff ...can't remember crap anymore!

Nordin

Commander
Setting the timing can be done in many ways without the timingtool. I will try to explain two ways to do it.

1. With a caliper you can track the piston position at 28 dgr BTDC. This is at WOT.
Find the TDC with a screwdriver or pencil at top cylinder by putting it in the sparkplughole. The piston should stop its upward traveling and start to move down.
You can feel it by rocking the flywheel. Mark this at the flywheel with a referens to the engineblock.
Put a caliper in and measure distance to the suface of the head. This is your zero point.
28 dgr is 0,260 in before TDC so when putting the engine in WOT the points for top cylinder shall open at this point.
If the timing is out you adjust it at the sparkcontrol linkrod that moves the timingplate.

2. Without a caliper you can time it by counting the teeth at the flywheel. It suppose to be 83 at your 45Hp.
28 dgr is 83 divided with 360 and multiply with 28 teeth . That is 6,4555, so 6,5 teeth will be okey.
Track the TDC as I describe above and mark the TDC at flywheel at a referens (if it do not have a blockpointer) at the engineblock. This is your zero.
Count 6,5 teeth to the left of your mark at flywheel and mark this as your 28 dgr BTDC at flywheel.
Put the engine in WOT and turn the flywheel clockwise until your 28 dgr mark lines up with the referens point at engineblock.
At this point the points for top cylinder shall starts to open. Adjust with the sparkcontrol linkrod.

Hope you understand this. I am from Sweden so my English is not so good.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Nordin! That's pretty much the way I finally did it. Looks like about 5-6 degrees before TDC at idle. Seems about right to me. At my 28 deg mark I found a faint line on the flywheel with a slash through it. I'm about 1/8 inch away from it with my method . I'd assume that must be a factory 30 deg mark at WOT for cyl no. 1. Hope it's close enough...I know two strokes arn't tolerant of over advanced timing. If I'd known how many thousandths 30 degs. was it would have been easier just to use the dial indicator like we used to do on the old snowmobiles!

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I might be able to remember this. 28degs. is where we timed the Norton motorcycles using a degree wheel !