Power trim/tilt on 89, 125hp

KScott78

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I've recently purchased this motor and it runs great, however I have some questions about connecting the tilt/trim to my throttle/shifter.

Attached is the schematic for the unit.

I am able to make it work if I connect power/ground to the blue/green wires that come directly from the pump, however I'm not sure if this will cause any issues, or what would be the correct way to connect it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 41.png
    41.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The relays should be used as they allow the heavier voltage to go through them and not cause an overheat situation.
Just tie the switch wires into the shifter.
You shouldn't need to modify anything on the relays or motor.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If you attach one wire to power and one wire to ground, the motor will only turn in one direction. This system is designed for and will only work with relays. Relays allow you to use a very small current to activate a high current switch inside the relay.

Operation is as follows: At rest both relays are at ground so both green and blue are at ground. When you activate up (for example) the up relay closes and the blue wire goes to power (positive). The motor turns the pump to raise the cylinders. Hit down on the switch and now the blue stays at ground while the green goes to positive. The motor turns in the opposite direction.

The relays are standard 5 pin relays and can be found in any U-Pull-It junkyard for the entrance fee. The relay seats (sockets) must be rewired to suit the power tilt/trim but it is not difficult. I have done it many times. You simply read on the top of the relay what pin does what and rewire the socket with heavy wires for power and lighter wires for signal.

Last edited: