tc-w3 outboard oil

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there much of a difference in the different brands of tc-w3 outboard oil? Coastal, West Marine, walmart Super tech, Ace are some of the generic brands and of course pennzoil and the other name brands make it. in fact pennzoil makes a "premium" outboard oil and also a "etl" extended life type. Are they all the same or not? If not what are the differences. I have a 1994 Force 120.

Jiggz

Captain
2 cycle oil quality discussion is like asking for opinions . . . and everybody has one! I say try each one for yourself and then stick with the one you think works best for you. As for me, I use the cheapest one I can get and that is Supertech from WM!

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another question regarding tc-w3 oil. What is the shelf life of tc-w3 outboard oil? Walmart here was having a clearance sale of gallon jugs of the pennzoil extended life XLF then I noticed a date of 4/2014 on them. Is that considered old? Would it be bad?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Some of the pricier oils say they don't smoke as much?
But they all do the same thing.
Like Jiggz I use Wallyworlds oil.

The thing is have the right amount.
Too much isn't as bad as not enough but eventually it builds up and can cause problems.

In the old days the TCW 1 and 2 was actually designed to leave carbon and it caused the problems we experienced.
I had to rebuild my 88/85's twice before the TCW3 came out.
Since then no problems.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The tcw 3 rating eliminated the less quality oils so any tcw 3 is an excellent oil for a 2 stroke outboard motor