Interesting '92 Force 150 Charging Findings/Corrections

Snakeforce

Recruit
I started discussing this topic by continuing an old thread on 150 Charging issues. Here's a link to that thread for the background info.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ysler-outboards/351045-force-150-not-charging

Today, my new CDI stator and my flywheel puller showed up. It was quick work pulling the flywheel, replacing the stator and putting the flywheel back on and torquing the nut to 90 ft-lbs.

Engine started right up and ran fine. Voltmeter on the dash looked correct again. Showed positive charging and volts went up with rpm. But, the tach was not moving. When I had installed the new Caltric (made in China by prisoners) reg/rect on the engine, it corrected the non-working tach issue. But the charging was still not working.

So, with the charging circuit working, I put the old reg/rect back on and all was well. Tach is working as it should and charging circuit is working as it should.

What puzzles me is I tested the old reg/rect and the findings indicated the rectifiers were damaged. I had open circuit to positive lead in both directions. Maybe in my haste, I did not do the test correctly. I also tested the signal out of the Caltric reg/rect while still connected to the new stator and the tach signal was about 2.4 VAC at idle and would drop to near zero with increased rpm. This drove the tach needle to zero. With the engine back to idle rpm, tach starting working again. Very strange.

But all works now so I'm happy. Have already talked to Caltric about returning the reg/rect. Guess you get what you pay for.

regards,,
Rob