1988 Force 85 OB won't tilt down

carott88

Recruit
First post here although I've been lurking and learning a lot for a few weeks. My tilt up works every time. My tilt down works occasionally, but fails more often than not. I've read about the relays, ID'd the down relay, cleaned contacts, and finally put in a new relay today. No help. Changed out the switch, no help. So I'm back where I started. When I hit the switch down, I can hear a click (I assume from the relay), but no action. I want to sell this boat but want everything in working order when I do. I'm fairly handy, but certainly not a mechanic. What's my next step? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

carott88

Recruit
I didn't get any responses, so I went a step further and may have gotten myself into more trouble. Given the conditions I described above, I'm assuming a bad tilt trim motor. I pulled the top off the tilt trim motor. The brushes sprang out of the cover. Looking at the condition of the brushes and the copper wire connections to them, I'm guess this is where my problem is. I either need suggestions on where to go from here, or whether to buy a new motor. No idea how to reassemble the motor cover while getting those spring loaded brushes back in place. If I buy a new motor, I'm unsure how to install it. Most seem to come with fluid reservoirs, but I know nothing about how to ensure I buy the correct motor and then how to install it (hydraulics -- how to bleed, etc.). If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Awww! You can get the brushes back on by tying them in place with a twist tie. Replace the cap and before screwing it down, remove the twist ties. I don't know a source for brushes .If you do try to re-use them or if you can find new brushes, clean the commutator to bright copper.

If you do decide to buy a new motor, you need a 2 wire motor. It can be removed from the reservoir and mounted on your existing one This is easier than removing the pump and refilling it with oil. The motor shaft has a flat on the bottom so when you go to mount it twist it a bit to seat the flat into the pump.