force 50 hp start,run problems-timing?

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,
I got a force last yeay,and it had a 50 hp on it.
Ran good.Twards fall,it died a couple of times.

This year it starts hard usually,but once i get it running,it runs,but doesnt seem to be as fast.
Heres the deal............

I start it and go about 5 mph around the lake.Runs fine slow..Top speed though droped i believe.

No biggy,but when i shut it off,it wont re start.Kinda tries,but it wont re start.Runs good as I went around the whole lake.Its just when i shut if off,it wont re start.

Checked the coils,and i have spark.Replaced the squeeze bulb,and drained the gas bowl just in case it had water in it.

Wondering if timing has something to do with it?
How do i time it?
I see the sticker with the timing mark on it,but on my 85 force,it had a screw under the fly wheel.Cant seem to find it on this one.

That one i just road timed,and found the sweet spot luckily lol.
So how do i set the timing,or where is the screw on this 50 force so i can move it a little,and see if that makes a difference?

Any ideas what else to check? I bought a compression checker,but havent tried it yet,just in case....
And what would be the compression i need to be at on it? 120 lbs or somewheres aroung that?
Thanks,
Much appreciated on any feed back.
And yes,looked at the other trhread,but it does not deal with 50 hp,only bigger.I need info on 50 hp.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If you have separate cylindrical coils mounted on the side then it is a battery ignition engine.There is a rod running back from the timing tower to the points carrier plate. This can be used to adjust timing BUT--That would be the last thing you would want to do. Better to remove the flywheel and clean and adjust the points first.

If you have a combination coil and CD box (2) then the engine is electronic ignition. Quite frankly I have done so few of these that I don't remember how to set or adjust timing.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I never thought about points..Humm..Its a 1989 bayliner and force motor.That might explain lower speed,and why it doesnt re start when its hot hu?
So I just take the nut off the top of the flywheel and thats where the points are correct?

Been awhile since i messed with points lol.
What would be the setting on them for gap?

Much appreciated..
scotty

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Quite frankly, I do not remember when Force went to CD ignition on these smaller engines. But, as I said above, if you have the two circular coils on the side of the engine, it is most likely battery and points ignition.

The nut is removed from the top of the flywheel. Then you need a puller of some sort--harmonic balancer puller, three jaw gear puller etc. The flywheel is on a locking taper and will not come off without a puller. Points, if you have them should be set to .018 open and each set must be equal in gap because a difference as small as .001 (or something like that) equals a one degree difference in timing.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok,Someone told me that a 1989 doesnt have points.Not sure if they are correct or not.
So not sure what to do.
I did a compression test.it was 110 in one and 120 # in the other.First time i ever did comoression,so i turned over the key for awhile to make sure it got where it should be hopefully..

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I left the other plug in when i did it,if it matters,but guessing its not the compression.