Force water in cylinders

Hey all...Looking for some help...1989 Force 150 getting water in #2 and #3 cylinders...Alot in #3...Wondering if this could be a motor head or exhaust gasket or other...Pulled the cylinder head and there was no sign the cylinder head gasket was bad...Cylinder walls look good other than some rust in the leaky ones...Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...Steve...

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
If it's not the head gasket, then the exhaust cover gaskets would be the next thing to replace.

Thanks...If i figure out how to change the exhaust gaskets , will there be a tell tale sign it went bad and would the large amount of water shooting from the 3rd cylinder when i crank the motor be in line with that exhaust gasket failure?

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It could be the problem.
When dismantling the exhaust chest.
The scres can be tricky.
They tend to stick and are corroded.
Take your time, use WD or PB Blaster.
I think PB is better.
A small propane torch and maybe a small hammer.
Spray, heat, tap. Repeat.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It could be the problem.
When dismantling the exhaust chest.
The screws can be tricky.
They tend to stick and are corroded.
Take your time, use WD or PB Blaster.
I think PB is better.
A small propane torch and maybe a small hammer.
Spray, heat, tap. Repeat.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
You may or may not be able to tell if the gasket is the culprit. The gasket is kind of narrow in spots, so it sometimes gets damaged from removal. The fact that you have water in the cylinder and the head gasket looks intact, makes the exhaust cover gasket the most likely culprit.

Just be very careful in removing the exhaust cover bolts. I believe they are 1/4 X 20 bolts, so they aren't very big and it's easy to snap them off. They sometimes get seized up from corrosion. If you have one that doesn't seem to want to come out, take your time and gently work it back and forth. Tap on the head of the bolt to try and free it up.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No Title

The 150 exhaust cover is a PIA to remove. Clearances are tight and I believe that in order to remove the bottom two bolts you also need to remove the bottom cowling. In fact, I am reasonably certain that I have sand in mine but am reluctant to disassemble and clean it out because of the effort involved.

Now, The "tuned runners" are covered with the ribbed exhaust cover and you may have a leak there but typically I would not expect it to enter cylinders but you never know. The tuned plate is about 1 1/2 inches thick and covers the exhaust chest. There is a gasket there and a leak in that gasket can cause water to enter the cylinders.

Clean out the rust in the water affected cylinders and look for a cracked cylinder liner. Re-examine the head gasket and when you install the head, torque the bolts to 225 inch pounds EXCEPT the two 1/4 X 20 bolts to the side. Torque them to 70 inch pounds. That head is so tall that improperly torqued bolts can cause warping and leaking. In fact. put the head on a piece of glass and check with a feeler gauge for warping. Anything greater than .010 requires milling the head.

Attachments

• photo191130.jpg
    photo191130.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo191131.jpg
    photo191131.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228008.jpg
    photo228008.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228009.jpg
    photo228009.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No Title

More photos of the exhaust in 5 cylinder Force engines..

Attachments

• photo228033.jpg
    photo228033.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228034.jpg
    photo228034.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228035.jpg
    photo228035.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Not my engine. Photos were courtesy of an on-line friend doing some port and runner modifications to hopefully increase power.

Incidentally, for those who wonder why the head has that odd projection with two 1/4 X 20 bolts: This supplies some cooling water to the center runner.

Wow...Huge help...Thanks Frank and everyone else...I am hoping to tear it apart Sunday...Ill update when I get to it...Thanks again ...Steve...

Okay , got it apart...Went quite smoothly actually...Took a little over an hour... Definitely leaking in there I presume by the looks of some of the wet and rusty bolts...Just hope this amount of water can pass thru to the cylinders from there...Gonna inspect the cylinders again and order some gaskets if they look okay... Thanks again ...Keep me in mind , ill update when I get er done...