97' Mercury Force Lower Unit Compatibility

sta1388

Recruit
Hey everyone! I am having trouble getting a straight answer so here I am hoping for some clarity on my lower unit struggles. I have a 97' 90hp Merc Force 3cyl that I recently blew the lower unit on. I have been calling the marinas and boat yards around me and I have heard everything from Merc, Mariner, and some older Force lower units will fit and work on my outboard. Anyone out there have some more information for me and can possibly steer me in the right direction. Any information is appreciated!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
You have a Mercury lower unit. Anything thing force 90-120 hp from 1995-1999 will fit. Make sure you get the correct length. Most are 20". They are the same as Mercury in that time period. Some might have different gear ratio.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Any Merc unit from a 3 cylinder(75-90hp) from the years 1995-97 will work. The 4 cly wont work as gear ratio different and if you use a newer unit you will need to pull powerhead and change shift rod as clutch dog /gears are different and need a longer throw. You can get a new unit from SEI for $900 and the update shift kit for $125

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The final consideration is that the Mercury needs to be 3 Jaw clutch. Otherwise what Faztbullet said is important. I have a used Merc LU on my 97 Force 120 engine as we speak. I also have a 97 force LU that needs a new clutch sitting in the garage. So the answer to your question is look for a used Merc 3 jaw LU in the same HP and year range. Gear ratios may be a little different, but not so different to make a BIG difference, and is easily fixed by re-propping.

Last edited: