94 force 120 fuel pump question

Jeffmohn

Recruit
hey guys long time reader first time poster hoping someone could answer a quick question... I took apart my fuel pump on a 94 force 120 motor that has been having stalling issues at neutral idle only starts and runs good with throttle only then when i bring it to neutral dies. I am in process of cleaning carbs and figured i would hit the fuel pump. Since replacing all fuel lines. My question is when i read my service manual there is a big section on making sure the "fuel bowl is facing down at 4 oclock" but doesnt stat why... I noticed on a picture i took couple weeks back my fuel bowl was facing a little up almost like 2 oclock. I figure if its says in manual it could be a big deal but why what does it affect? And would that have anything to do with making pump weak at idle? Please let me know and thank you all for your time

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Most of the time you just need to turn up your idle. About 1000-1100 in neutral. Translates to about 750 in gear. You want it to be 750 in forward gear in the water.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I don't know of any Force engine with a fuel bowl on the fuel pump. Please elaborate and post a photo.

Stalling at idle is not a fuel pump problem. FIRST remove and clean or replace the spark plugs. Then, if that doesn't cure the problem raise the idle speed using the idle stop screw on the bottom of the timing tower.

Jeffmohn

Recruit
It the sediment bowl the one with the screen in it that is labeled filter i keep trying to upload pic but it says exceeds limit i will have to try to shrink the photo... Ive tried turning the idle screw but its not budging used vise grips too and nothing think i will mess anything up if i take a little heat to it or should i just use a spray to try to get it moving?

Jeffmohn

Recruit
I will get these carbs cleaned for the 3rd time i am gonna make sure all the little holes are probed then get if all synced up wed morning and il adjust the idle and post the results. Just need this fuel pump kit to be delivered figured it needs it anyways previous owner doesnt know when it was last rebuilt... Thanks for the help i do have a question about the "bypass tube" inside the carbs if anyone is a carb person

Jeffmohn

Recruit
I had to removed my bypass tube because the tip got pinched... I ordered a new one and tapped it into place like my manual says. The problem im having is how far into the carb body should i go (when i pulled old one out the tip of tube actually stuck out a tiny bit from the "nozzle" but the pics in my manual have the tube farther inside the nozzle... Should i tap it in as far as it goes or will it hit a stop inside the carb or will it actually punch thru the top or carb... Im confused on what it actually does and would like to get it right before i reassemble.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If I read you correctly, that is the low speed supply tube. It needs to have clearance between its top and the pressed in welch plug otherwise you will not get sufficient fuel for starting and idling up to about 1500 RPM.

The black plastic fuel "filter"/screen has two notches on the underside that mate with a tab on the pump body. Thus it can be installed facing straight out or slightly downward. Position is not important BUT on the bigger engines the fuel line comes in through the cowl so it is usually installed facing downward.