85 force died and sluggish power

Diesel41

Cadet
Hey guys, took my 1985 85 hp force out yesterday, it was running a little rough and had some trouble getting it going, it putted around just fine but once I opened it up we probly only went 5 to 10 mph. Just me and my wife in the boat. After that we shut it down to do some fishing and I couldn't get it going again for about 30min, finally I got the right combination of pumping the bulb then starting it and giving it a lot of throttle to get it going. We started to putt back to the marina and she died again and couldn't get it going. It also was pouring out ALOT of exhaust. I did 50:1 fuel ratio. I did a compression test and all 3 cylinders were between 90 and 105, I know this isn't ideal compression but it still should go faster than that right? I just need it to run so I can scoot across the lake and fish. It has new spark plugs in it as well. It sat for a couple years before I bought it, maybe fuel system rebuild? How hard is that? Any help would be great guys!
Thanks!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Check for spark on all 3. You might have blown a power pack ??

Diesel41

Cadet
I will check spark and get back to you, any thoughts on that compression? Is that worth rebuilding or should that be okay?

Diesel41

Cadet
Update, I checked spark and it didn't seem to be very good, only got a spark every once and while. could this be causing rough running and sluggish power?? how do you fix this?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

What did you use to test spark??
A tester like the one pictured can be used while running.

Comp test: plugs out, leads grounded.
The resulting #s should all be even or real close.
Your gauge might be reading wrong and true comp is better than you know.
Actual readings should be about 145# somewhere around that.
My gauge might read different than yours???

It actually sounds more like a fuel problem than a spark problem.
Clean the carb, check the diaphragm in the pump and install a filter between the pump and the carb.
Replace all the hoses and any connectors.
Filter,Wally World G2 or G12 depending on the hose size.

Attachments

• photo213702.jpg
    photo213702.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0

Diesel41

Cadet
That's the kind of tester I used. I thought it sounded like a fuel problem also, the boat sat for a year before I got it, it had about 1/4 tank of gas in it, I just mixed in new fuel thinking it would be okay but I think I was wrong. To clean the carbs do I just need to take apart and hand clean them? I will get a fuel pump rebuild kit also. What kind of filter do I need to install after the pump?

Diesel41

Cadet
Never mind on kind of filter, I see you listed it. I will complete this and keep you updated.

Thanks a lot!