White smoke

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1988 Force Outboard 85hp. It makes a significant amount of white smoke. Also makes a pretty strong gas smell. Not sure if this is normal considering the age of the engine. If not how do I reduce the white smoke.

Also, I notice when putting prop in a tub of water and starting, the tub slowly gets covered in black soot and so does the prop.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved this out of the Prop section because it isn't a prop problem.

The black oil in the tub is normal for a 2v stroke. It's the oil residue left after combustion.

The white smoke could mean too much oil in the gas. Is this pre-mix or oil injection motor? Too much oil can also make more than normal black stuff when running in a tub.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
smoke is normal when you first start it up but it should stop after you get moving. you should be putting 1 quart of oil in and then putting 12.5 gallons of gas. this will get you to 50:1 mixture. i like Pennzoil semi-synthetic - sometimes it's on sale for 15.00 for a gallon.

here are a few things you can check - clean or replace your spark plugs. use NKG BUHX plugs. check what are your air mixture screws set to - they might be set too rich - you could set them to 1 or 1-1/4 out from lightly seated and see if that helps. if you change your mixture you will need to also adjust your idle as it will change.

if you are not comfortable messing with the carbs try putting some mercury quickleen in your tank - run it for a few outings. definitely check the plugs.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Changed Sparks. Might have put slightly too much oil. Will definitely look at adjusting air mixture. Thanks for the insight. Very helpful!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Air mixture is not going to cause white smoke. ALL Force engines will smoke when sitting still in the water. Remember: It is burning oil.

Sometimes this smoke will get annoying if the wind blows it back into the boat. Once the boat is moving the smoke and exhaust are buried in the prop wash and you will not notice it.

When running in a bucket, the amount of black oil will amaze you. Even though it is very little it gets all over everything and appears to be a lot. This is normal.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No oil injection in any Force.
The fuel is 12 gal to a quart.6gal to 1 pint.
Running too much oil isn't good.
Running it without enough is WAY bad.
Amzol says you can use less and still be safe????? But Amzol is crazy expensive.
I use Wally World oil. $12 gal.

Like the others said it's gonna smoke no matter what you do and what you use.
Running at idle will produce more smoke.
So run it like you stole it. Outboards were designed to run wide open or real close to it.

I take my plugs out and just wipe them off.
Used one set for about 10yr.

Every year or 2 do a decarb. Follow directions on the can.
I use Mercury's Powertune Or OMCs Engine Tuner.No Seafoam.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
2 cycle smoke will tend to linger and smells like burning oil.
"white smoke" may be water intrusion in the cylinders and dissipates quickly.
If there is water the spark plugs involved will be unusually clean and may show actual water on them.