trim tab bolts

benito1470

Cadet
ok im trying to remove the bolts that hold trim tab o ring ITS LEAKING.... on the used one i got 1 of them broke off
so as i started to remove them on the one attached to the boat i can feel the head turning but not the screw i on all have applied bolt loosing spray and slowing went back and forth..........im thinking next with small tip on my torch its @ 1/8 tip(im a plumber) try to heat them

any other ideas? those bolts are @ 1/4 inch this is for 1989 125 hp outboard thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Since your replacing the o-ring heat shouldn't hurt.
Grab the head with vice grips and see if it comes out?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Ahhh, Benito: Are you talking about the 5 sided trim cylinder? If so there are three O rings that can be destroyed by heat. Yes, you will need to heat the housing and even then some bolts may snap at the housing so you will need to drill and tap. Do not re-use any of the bolts. They are already stressed and may fail in the future.

benito1470

Cadet
great thank you im going to enjoy a few trips then im doing that i was going to use old bolts GOOD POINT thanks great advice (hey im a plumber if you need advice (35 years experience let me know) you can email me tv2810@yahoo.com thank you very much frank