1989 force outdrive lower unit replacement

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a nice lemon on ebay auction. The previous owner who donated the boat claimed the engine was running, just forgot to mention that it was 8 years ago. So the lower unit is corroded and rusted out. It needs to be changed. What is the unit type and brand i need to look for? Are they standard for specific hp? Or do they go also by the engine brand? And what is the place to look for the cheapest working units? Thx

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Anything 85 HP or 125 HP from the 80's will fit. The only thing to watch out for is the shaft length. Could be 20 or 25"

Most were single exhaust. Some are dual. If you post a pic we can tell you what you have. But it doesn't really matter except for prop choices.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
In 89 they went to a 2 piece driveshaft.
Make sure of what you have.
The 85 and 125 have different gear ratio's and like skidad said different shaft lengths.

You need to post the year/hp/model.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You typed "Outdrive" in your title.Is your boat an L drive with the engine inside the boat and the lower unit outside?

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
The motor is force 85, outdrive, and I returned this boat back to the seller, it had way too many problems even to consider starting to work on it. All the lower parts were rusted out and corroded, the hull was covered in barnacles and seaweeds, really bad shape. Completely different from the for sale description. So I just returned it back.