89 force 125 sometimes stalls when putting it into gear.

Wolbeck116

Recruit
Hey guys! New to the forum and have asked some questions and got some great helpful information so far,so I want to thank all of you knowledgeable guys first of all!! I'm new to boating just recently bought a 1990 bayliner Capri and I'm in love with this boat,but one of the issues I've been having is the motor will stall sometimes...not all the time when I put it in gear. It also seems easier to start with the prop almost out of water so I would assume it's maybe idle speed or something along those lines. My question is if that's the issue how do I adjust it?! I've never monkeyed around with a boat motor so I don't want to just start adjusting things. Thanks in advance!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Since the prop must be in neutral to start, position in the water has nothing to do with starting ability. It can affect starting IF the carbs are tilted.

HOWEVER: Before you start adjusting idle speed pull the spark plugs and clean or replace them. THEN if the stalling problem still occurs adjust the idle speed to 700-750 RPM IN FORWARD GEAR, in the water. Screwing the idle stop screw in raises the idle and screwing it out lowers the idle. Screwing it in too far will limit severely the amount of fast idle so if you must put the screw in most of the way to get proper idle speed then something else is incorrect. See the carb and timing tutorial at the top of the forum.