'70 Chrysler 7 HP Coughs, skips intermittently

I recently got a 7 HP Chrysler motor started that had been stored for years in the basement. After great difficulty getting it started the 1st time, it now starts easily, but skips intermittently. The plugs are new and I checked and cleaned the fuel tank. The engine smooths out when I partially close the choke, but RPMs are reduced a bit too. I would appreciate any suggestions very much.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The cough at idle could be the air/fuel screw needs adjusting.
Start at 1 and 1/8th out to 1 and 1/2 out.
Start and in the water in gear. On a trailer or tied to a dock.
Turn screw in 1/8th of turn wait 10 seconds, repeat.
Do this till it coughs or bucks or stalls.
Then out 1/2 turn.
If you need to use the choke to run it, then the low speed jet could be clogged????
Clean the carb and make sure the teenie tiny holes in the jets are clear.

Thank you for the advice. I have tried adjusting the needle valve (only adjustment visible on the carb) and it doesn't make much difference. I have sprayed carb. cleaner in various orifices that I can open without removing the carb. That didn't help. I thought about removing the carb, but is mounted very low in the cowl and I am unable to get a wrench on it. It looks like the power head must be removed to take off the carb. I have also checked and cleaned the ignition contact points. I am testing this motor in a water barrel so it's difficult to test in all conditions, but I found that the skipping goes way at higher RPMs. Maybe this will clear up after running it at higher speeds on a boat for awhile.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Mix some carb cleaner in the fuel.Just make sure you add oil to offset the additive.