89 force tilt and trim problem

Wolbeck116

Recruit
Hey guys I'm new to the forum here! First of all I have looked around to try and solve my problem but I wanted to ask directly. My issue is that when I raise my motor up,no mater how high it is it will slowly fall back down. I put more fluid in it the other day and it seemed to help but now its starting to fall down again. Another issue I'm having is that from time to time the motor won't kick in when I try to raise or lower it. It sounds like the relays are just. Clicking. Would that be a wiring issue or are they both tied into each other somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm new to the boating world so I don't know a whole lot! Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You have a 2 part system.
A hydrolic pump, driven by an electric motor.
And a 2 part lifting system.
The first part is the trim. Second part is the tilt.
The trim usually doesn't go bad, the tilt also doesn't usually go bad but!!! they can go.

The drifting down is probably the hyd. motor.
The no response could be the motor or the relays.

Did you fill it while it was tilted up? It's filled in the down position.
Yes? then possibly when the motor drifted down it pushed the excess oil up into the electric motor gumming up the works.

In the manual, there are test procedures for determining the cause.

Wolbeck116

Recruit
Jerryjerry05 the first time I filled it I filled it with the motor all the way down and still had the problem so last night I tried with the motor up,it didn't seem to take anymore and I still have the problem, the slowly falling down I can live with for now. It just sucks when I'm out on the lake and the motor doesn't always want to move. Could it be as simple as replacing the relays?

Wolbeck116

Recruit
Is the electric motor on top on the hydrolic motor? If I remove it to check do I have to watch for anything?

Wolbeck116

Recruit
Thanks for the info jiggz I will order a kit and get those replaced to see if that help with it falling down. But what could be my issue with the motor not wanting to kick in all the time?