Need help with locating Top Mount Controls for 150hp Force

gman2310

Seaman Apprentice
I have an early 90's 150hp Force Outboard. I need to locate a new control box for it. I bought a universal box and doesn't seem to work

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
if you are looking for a power pack look at outboardignition.com - select ignition and power pack and year. There are PDF's for each part on how to make sure you are replacing the right item.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have an early 90's 150hp Force Outboard. I need to locate a new control box for it. I bought a universal box and doesn't seem to work

Can you explain it doesn't seem to work?

gman2310

Seaman Apprentice
It seems like the cable ends mount solid at the engine and move the out casing to move the throttle and shifter

GA_Boater

It seems like the cable ends mount solid at the engine and move the out casing to move the throttle and shifter

Are you sure? Never saw a cable with a moving outer cover.

I think you missed something to anchor the cable in the control and the outer cable housing should be anchored in the motor. Only the inner cable moves.

What universal control did u buy?

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Chrysler then Force--until mercury changed controls used a goofy control system. At the control box, the inner cable moved but at the engine, the inner cable was solidly mounted and the outer sheath moved the shift or throttle. There is nothing wrong with that and since that controls are moved by the difference between the inner cable and the sheath it works.

However, if the control cables are too short or bent at too sharp an angle they will bind. There needs to be a loop of cable in the splashwell and cables should be bent at a curve at least equal to a big steering wheel diameter if at all possible.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Chrysler then Force--until mercury changed controls used a goofy control system. At the control box, the inner cable moved but at the engine, the inner cable was solidly mounted and the outer sheath moved the shift or throttle. There is nothing wrong with that and since that controls are moved by the difference between the inner cable and the sheath it works.

However, if the control cables are too short or bent at too sharp an angle they will bind. There needs to be a loop of cable in the splashwell and cables should be bent at a curve at least equal to a big steering wheel diameter if at all possible.

Thanks, Frank. I learn something everyday. Today is about goofy Force control connections.

gman2310

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

So I ended up buying this set up. It was part# F5H257-1 for $440. The local force dealer about two miles away closed up his repair shop and is not selling metal detectors. Luckily I still stopped in there and found out he still has a ton of parts left. He actually had this brand new in a box on the shelf. He also has another one left plus a bunch of extra parts. He doesn't advertise so you won't know. If anyone needs his information let me know. I installed this and all seems to work well.

Attachments

• photo226961.jpg
    photo226961.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0