gear box not changing into reverse

yakuza

Recruit
Hi guys, I'm new here and been reading quite a bit in here, good place for boaties :)

Usually I find answers but this time its bit more specific to my engine: my gearbox suddenly stopped working in reverse. I've attached a pic of it, unfortunately I don't know the make or anything... Engine is a 2L diesel, ex Toyota hilux from the 80s.

If I change the gear with my hands directly on the lever, it stays in neutral and doesn't do anything. Normal forward works fine... Any ideas??

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Thomas

Attachments

• 0232015222024.jpg
    0232015222024.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Hi guys, I'm new here and been reading quite a bit in here, good place for boaties :)

Usually I find answers but this time its bit more specific to my engine: my gearbox suddenly stopped working in reverse. I've attached a pic of it, unfortunately I don't know the make or anything... Engine is a 2L diesel, ex Toyota hilux from the 80s.

If I change the gear with my hands directly on the lever, it stays in neutral and doesn't do anything. Normal forward works fine... Any ideas??
fetch

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Thomas

:welcome: to iboats

This appears to be a straight mechanical transmission (non-hydraulic). With the shift cable disconnected, you can move the lever on the trans to forward and it goes in gear, correct? Does the trans make any noise when the lever is moved to forward or back to neutral? How is the fluid level in the trans?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome !
It is hydraulic. It's a Borg Warner Velvet drive, probably 1:1 ratio. Velvet drives are very common and easy to find parts
and places that rebuild them.
The hose in the center of the pic is 1 of the oil hoses(2) that go to-from the oil cooler, the fittings are wrapped in Petro tape .
They do have forward and reverse clutches, possibly your reverse clutches went out.
Have you ever changed the oil? :)
They are a decent marine transmission, especially if put behind 185 HP (diesel) or less,
over 200 they can become problematic.
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merch...ory_Code=ALL3E
Ask the marina's around you who is the local velvet drive expert.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Ya know your right K2, it just looked so small in the pic, oh well good thing you got it right

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Dodge, you are one of the most knowledgeable & helpful guys on here.
You get it spot on 99.9999% of the time!

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks K2, but I'm really not that good, I keep making mistakes and continue to learn my self, just ask Fun Times, he catches many of mine woops. Either way Thanks always good to have you near by

yakuza

Recruit
Welcome !
It is hydraulic. It's a Borg Warner Velvet drive, probably 1:1 ratio. Velvet drives are very common and easy to find parts
and places that rebuild them.
The hose in the center of the pic is 1 of the oil hoses(2) that go to-from the oil cooler, the fittings are wrapped in Petro tape .
They do have forward and reverse clutches, possibly your reverse clutches went out.
Have you ever changed the oil? :)
They are a decent marine transmission, especially if put behind 185 HP (diesel) or less,
over 200 they can become problematic.
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merch...ory_Code=ALL3E
Ask the marina's around you who is the local velvet drive expert.

Awesome info guys, thank you so much! Sorry wasn't able to go back and check earlier - yes, the oil... :S I can't recall changing it... but I checked and it is very low... would changing the oil bring it back to life or does it need parts / fixing? Also, what oil does it need? Cheers, Thomas

alldodge

Staff member
Awesome info guys, thank you so much! Sorry wasn't able to go back and check earlier - yes, the oil... :S I can't recall changing it... but I checked and it is very low... would changing the oil bring it back to life or does it need parts / fixing? Also, what oil does it need? Cheers, Thomas

The trans in most cases uses ATF Dexron III transmission fluid. There should be a tag on the top of the transmission with a model number. Depending on which model you have there might be a trans filter screen to clean. More then likely filling will not fix the issue, but there is a chance.

There is a fill opening which usually includes a dip stick. If filling it to level starts it working I would recommend draining everything, clean the screen and refill. When filling keep it a tad low because when warm the fluid will expand. Trans should be checked for proper level when warm